UKC

Winter Softshell Trouser

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ModerateMatt 31 Aug 2017
I have done alot of looking around for winter trousers and nothing seems to quite fit the bill. I currently have a pair of Mountian Equipment G2 pant. They fit well but have not stood up to my inglorious style of climbing, which involves lots of kneeling so short of getting better form I need a more durable pair of trousers.

I will be getting some new hardsells but I am looking for a replacement softshell. My main problem is I'm 6'3" and slim so it's a real strugle to find something that is long enoug but doesn't act like a sail. So something that comes in 32/34 waist and long/34/36 leg would be perfect but I am willing to have a pair that suits in other ways lowered. Weatherfroofness is a plus as wearing waterproofs is usually my last resort but durability is my main concern.

I don't know if something that fits my needs exists but if anyone knows of a solution i'd really aprecate the help.

Thanks
Matt
1philjones1 31 Aug 2017
In reply to ModerateMatt:

Have you tried the Decathlon/Simond alpine soft shell. They've just brought out a new model. I've got the old ones which were about £35 and good quality. I'm 6'2" and 34" leg and they fit really well in large. At that price, trashing them is not so serious!
 Pina 31 Aug 2017
In reply to 1philjones1:

I got on petty well with their membrane softshell model (not sure if they still make it), lasted me a full season of winter thrutching. Wouldn't touch the decathlon hardshells though, they lasted me one route before being torn to shreds.
 GarethSL 31 Aug 2017
The Arc'teryx Proline FL or Gamma AR/MX soft-shell trousers all come in tall (35") inside legs and are absolutely fantastic trousers. Even available in colours other than black! They're pretty durable, more so than most soft shells out there, but they don't have a membrane/ windstopper fabric if that is something you are interested in having.

Although ski specific I plan to use my Proclines for ice and mixed this season as they fit so well and have a great set of features. So far I've been very impressed with them.

As for new hardshell trouser if you're still looking then the Arc'teryx Beta AR and Theta AR come in long leg lengths with a 33" waist in size medium. Both absolutely excellent, the thetas are quite slim in the thigh but the Beta AR trousers are probably (still) the best all round waterproof trousers out there!
Post edited at 21:53
 sharpie530 01 Sep 2017

Keela Scuffers are pretty durable, and come have longer leg lengths.
 Mr Fuller 01 Sep 2017

I'm pretty amazed you find the G2s not durable enough! I bought a pair second hand 7 years ago and mine have another decade in them despite my climbing style which at best might be described as 'crap'. I'd have a good look at the alternatives before assuming they would be more durable.

(For transparency- I work for Mountain Equipment but bought my G2s before I started, and whether I worked for them or not would buy another pair.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...