UKC

La Meije ridge conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LDudill 31 Aug 2017
Any info on the current conditions of the ridge? Anyone done it fairly recently? Also any beta on the current best approach and conditions on the approach? Have briefly read one of the approaches is condition dependant. I am also aware one of the huts is currently closed but would be planning on bivvying anyway.

Any beta appreciated.

Cheers
 summo 31 Aug 2017
In reply to LDudill:

If you are doing the traverse, then won't you be heading up promontoire ridge, which is almost certainly where these rock fell down?
OP LDudill 02 Sep 2017
In reply to summo:

Yes but I am not sure how much the rockfall will actually affect the route. I don't speak French but the article and photos seem to make out like a few large rocks have come down and hit the hut, unlucky yes, but rocks are falling down in the alps left right and centre everyday! If you, or anyone else does happen to speak French and could comment on the extent of the rockfall from the article that would be very helpful! Obviously it goes with out saying if significant rockfall has occurred changing the nature of the route and / or leaving areas of the route unstable (more unstable than rock glued together with snow normally is in the alps in summer!) then I would most certainly steer clear of it.

But as I said before if anyone has any useful beta or has completed the route fairly recently and could comment on the conditions that would be great. I plan on having word with the guides anyway but every bit of info helps.

Cheers,
Luke
 Bob Aitken 02 Sep 2017
In reply to LDudill:
https://www.refugedupromontoire.com/en-direct/
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2017/08/31/le-refuge-du-promontoire-a-d...

between them suggest (1) there is currently fresh snow on the Meije; (2) that the rock fall, while apparently confined to the crags hard above the hut, has had at least some destabilising effect on the very restricted line of ascent on the upper Promontoire close above the hut; and (3) that access to the hut and the surrounding area is strictly prohibited by an order from the Maire of St Christophe while things get sorted out.

You will of course take your own view on that, but bear in mind that there are limited options to going right past the Promontoire hut on the way up, and that assuming a successful traverse, you'd probably wish to call at the Aigle hut on the way down. You might not be very popular at either location. Me, I'd be inclined to leave it for another year.
OP LDudill 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Bob Aitken:

I thought there would be fresh snow on it at the minute but was hoping it would be okay in 3 days or so as the forecast looks sunny with no snow after today. Thanks for the info on the rockfall. I shall have to keep my eye on it to see if there are any further updates. It is looking like leaving it for another year maybe a good call, on the other hand we would probably have to ridge to ourselves
 summo 02 Sep 2017
In reply to LDudill:
> on the other hand we would probably have to ridge to ourselves

My logic makes my think the rock must be off the ridge itself relatively low down, otherwise it would have bounced to the side of the main ridge line and not hit the hut.

As said above the scramble approach to the hut and route will probably mean you meet staff or workers who won't be too impressed. These are probably staying in the hut midway down the valley and will spot you either way.

The snow traverse on the route will be harder work for the first few up, no trench or bucket steps to follow.
Post edited at 11:44
 James FR 08 Sep 2017
In reply to LDudill:

From the latest Promontoire updates, it sounds like conditions on the mountain aren't too bad at the moment - and the guardian saw two people yesterday who had bivvied at the base of the Promontoire ridge. But more bad weather on the way tomorrow...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...