UKC

Achilles area pain - not the tendon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 31 Aug 2017
Yet another injury...

I have had problems with my achilles before, and thought here we go again. However, no tenderness or thickening in the tendon itself, and the tendon feels nice and supple, (Mrs Ridge reports if I were a horse it feels alright). Also no hobbling out of bed on a morning, and feels fine walking around.

However when running it begins to hurt after a couple of hundred metres, and feels just like tendonitis/tendosis. A bit of prodding seems to indicate the pain is more in the soft tissue between the tendon and ankle.

Anyone had similar?
 SouthernSteve 01 Sep 2017
In reply to Ridge:

There are quite a few tendons running down there - e.g. posterior tibial tendon (usually more medial pain when it gets to the foot and running just behind the medial malleolus etc). You probably need professional prodding if it doesn't settle down. I did have pain like this recently and the achilles was considered the cause, even though most of the time there was no swelling or pain on the pinch.
OP Ridge 01 Sep 2017
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thanks Steve, professional prodding it is then!
 nniff 01 Sep 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Bursitis? -the bursa - the pad between the tendon and the bone (I think - I am to anatomy what Charlie Chaplin is to video games), gets inflamed and hurts. I had it. Rest and ibuprofen.

This is an utterly ill-informed opinion upon which you rely at your peril.
 steelbru 01 Sep 2017
In reply to Ridge:
If it is achilles tendonosis then advice is NOT to rest and NOT anti-inflammatories

http://www.runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html quite a long, but excellent summary of what not to do, and what's best to do.
Post edited at 20:00
OP Ridge 04 Sep 2017
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks for that. The eccentric drops are a variation on what I usually do, in that I push back to the horizontal with the injured leg rather than the good leg only. Will give those a try.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...