UKC

UTMB live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 01 Sep 2017
Anyone else watching the UTMB live? There's a live TV stream, which at the moment is showing an astonishing snake of people making their way up the first ascent. Remarkable efforts.
 Henry Iddon 01 Sep 2017
In reply to tony:

No but a link may be handy !!!!
OP tony 01 Sep 2017
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Apologies:
http://utmbmontblanc.com/en/live/ccc

It's the CCC race that's underway at the moment.
 Mike Hewitt 01 Sep 2017
In reply to tony:
Thanks for the link, watching now.

Jornet, Walmsley & Zach Miller top 3

Edit: Jim W just chilling in the aid station now, lol
Post edited at 19:15
 mbh 01 Sep 2017
In reply to tony:

Also watching. Trying to relate how they look as they run to what I imagine myself to be when running a tiny fraction of the distance. It doesn't compute.
 steelbru 01 Sep 2017
In reply to tony:

That was really weird seeing Jim W waiting for Kilian in the aid station, has he finally learned his lessons ?

Zach must have had a pit stop, as he suddenly lost a few minutes.

Going to be epic !!
 Mike Hewitt 01 Sep 2017

I'm rooting for Sage, as I follow his very good training vids on youtube, but my money would be on Killian or one of the top French guys.
Post edited at 20:21
 Mike Hewitt 02 Sep 2017
Not far to go for the leaders.

Andrew Symonds top Brit in 16th
 yorkshireman 02 Sep 2017
In reply to tony:

I just got back from running the CCC. I finished just after 7am this morning so hit my goal of a sub-22hr run. Well actually my goal was to finish.

The sad thing is I've missed most of the UTMB coverage but I bet the atmosphere was incredible as Francois d'Haene came in victorious. My reception was slightly less rapturous but I still appreciated the support from the good people in Chamonix.

I was glad the conditions were cool but the torrential rain meant the end of the course was modified between Col des Montets and Flegere, cutting out Tete aux Ventes but I think they managed to keep the distance and height gain and distance fairly similar.

Most of the descents from Le Fouly onwards were pretty much unrunnable for anyone without a deathwish as the sticky mud was churned up meaning you really had to be careful over the wet rocks and tree roots. I managed to fall a couple of times as did quite a few others.

The final climb to Flegere this morning was excrutiating and went on forever. It makes you realise how much the elites live on another planet.

It was my first UTMB event as a participant (I've been in town as a spectator before) but despite the conditions I thought it was great. The organisation was flawless, and even the legendary notorious bottlenecks on the first few climbs weren't bad at all and kept the pace manageable. There are undoubtedly a lot of runners and it is a crowded course but you don't get lonely and people are pretty chatty.

I'll definitely be back - maybe the TDS next time and obviously the UTMB itself is on the bucket list for one day.
 sg 02 Sep 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

> I just got back from running the CCC. I finished just after 7am this morning so hit my goal of a sub-22hr run. Well actually my goal was to finish.

Congrats; great effort. I have to say, they've done a great job of sharing the excitement via UTMB live (live TV coverage of a trail run, in the rain, strung out over 160km doesn't look like thrilling entertainment, on paper!) - I've been following it most the day, on and off, laid up after a minor op. No such future aspirations for me but it's certainly inspiring nonetheless. Good luck with next big run!
 Roadrunner5 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Mike Hewitt:

Damian Hall is..
 Roadrunner5 02 Sep 2017

Well done,

The year I did the UTMB I got to the base of that climb at dusk and was angry at the organizers for making us such a rediculous route..

I had to give myself a talking to that I was doing this because I wanted to.. once on top it was awesome running over the top with the moon light On Mont Blanc

I found the organization just superb.
OP tony 02 Sep 2017

> I just got back from running the CCC. I finished just after 7am this morning so hit my goal of a sub-22hr run. Well actually my goal was to finish.

Excellent effort, very well done. I had a friend doing the CCC - she finished in 25.32 after DNFing a couple of years ago. It's been pretty staggering watching the training she's been doing - puts everything I've been doing in a slightly different perspective.
 wbo 02 Sep 2017
In reply to yorkshireman: well done . Good effort

thommi 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Damian Hall - 12th place! Top stuff!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...