UKC

Goblin Combe access 2017?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OG 01 Sep 2017
Does anyone know if the climbing is currently (September 2017) accessible at Goblin Combe? The most recent info I can find is from 2014 so not very up to date but suggests there may be access issues.

Anyone got experience of climbing here recently and being kicked out / not?

Asking for a friend...

Cheers
 Rob Morgan 01 Sep 2017
In reply to OG:

No new access issues as far as I know. I climbed there about a month ago. As the advice suggests, leave if asked. I've never heard of a problem there though.
OP OG 01 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Morgan:

Cheers. Noob question but are the routes generally abseil off or top out and walk round?
 beardy mike 01 Sep 2017
In reply to OG:

It depends on the route - both options and you just have to decide when you're there. At the far end, mostly it's ab off, usually off pre-made points, whilst at the main area (Gollum, Gundabad etc) you can usually do either.
James Jackson 01 Sep 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

> whilst at the main area (Gollum, Gundabad etc) you can usually do either.

Although they are often horrendous bramble-filled slippy gullies of death. Also beware of ticks - well worth having a check after you've been. It's a great venue with some cracking climbing.
 Rob Morgan 01 Sep 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

Yep the descents are not really that nice to do, mostly just easier to ab off.
 John1458 01 Sep 2017
In reply to OG:

Just climbed there today, no access issues at all, found abseil stations at the top of all the routes we did, had a great afternoon!
 Rob Morgan 02 Sep 2017
In reply to John1458:

Saw you there I think! Lots of people on the path below, including a guided group, looking up and commenting on the 'forbidden climbing'!
 Euan Todd 02 Sep 2017
In reply to OG:

As others have said, not had any issues there recently. I've climbed there a few times this summer and it's been fine. Would definitely recommend abbing off the stuff at Owl Rock, the walk around/down is pretty unpleasant, and it's pretty easy to knock rocks off the crag by accident. In-situ gear for abs at the top of Elrond/Nazgul and another at the top of Necromancer/Gundabad. Enjoy, it's a great wee crag!
 Donotello 03 Sep 2017
In reply to OG:

A huge majority of climbing venues in most guidebooks have No Climbing signs visible or not so visible it's purely a land owner liability thing. About 3/5 place I climb have signs up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...