UKC

Kinda horror

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 02 Sep 2017
On my walk in Ardgour Friday / Saturday things were jumping and crawling on me, with characteristics of the spider and tick. The size of a man's little fingernail, tenacious and hardcore. Anyone know what they were? Seemed to big to be ticks.
 dmhigg 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm afraid I don't remember the exact name but they're something like "deer flies". They look like ticks on steroids and are really hard to flick off, especially from clothing. I am assured that they don't bite humans, but given that they are designed to bore into deer hide I don't find that particularly comforting. I met lots in Moidart last week and although they don't bite they crawl in a horrible way, especially on the back of the neck.
OP Flinticus 02 Sep 2017
In reply to dmhigg:

That sounds exactly like what I was under assault from. Even gor them on the back of my neck. Freed me out a bit.
OP Flinticus 02 Sep 2017
In reply to dmhigg:

Just so you know, quick Google search shows they do bite humans.
 DerwentDiluted 02 Sep 2017
In reply to dmhigg:

Aye, thats the horror I had on my eyelid a few days ago.

Deer Fly photo - WP07783
http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/07783-deer-fly
 fmck 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Deer ked yeh that area is pretty bad for them
Deadeye 02 Sep 2017
In reply to fmck:

They also transmit Lymes disease, so best cover up.
OP Flinticus 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

'Freaked' me out. Damn auto complete
Removed User 02 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Sounds like Deer Keds. Tis' the season.......
OP Flinticus 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

They atracked at the worse moment - steep ground, windless, tirin with heavy pack. Like wolves who have run down an old buffalo
OP Flinticus 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Actually more hyenas than wolves. Wolves too noble.
 dmhigg 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I stand corrected! And I'm never going up a hill West of Pitlochry again.
pasbury 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

A few wolves might get rid of some of the bloody deer and we'd all be better off.
 Red Rover 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Sounds like Scotland is a bit grim these days, I've heard tales of people being covered in ticks on Skye and people getting bitten and getting Lymes in the middle of winter.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Red Rover:

Same is true all over the UK. Worst places I've found for ticks have been the North York Moors and Mid Wales.
 Rob Parsons 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> They also transmit Lymes disease

Is that true? Never heard it before.
Deadeye 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Is that true? Never heard it before.

Buss B, Kearnery C.B., Coleman, C., Henning, J.D. (December 2016). "Detection of Lyme disease and anaplasmosis pathogens via PCR in Pennsylvania deer ked." Journal of Vector Ecology 41 (2): 292-294
 Rob Parsons 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> Buss B, Kearnery C.B., Coleman, C., Henning, J.D. (December 2016). "Detection of Lyme disease and anaplasmosis pathogens via PCR in Pennsylvania deer ked." Journal of Vector Ecology 41 (2): 292-294

F*cking hell. Thanks.

The day midges start carrying some of these things, we're all doomed.
 Roadrunner5 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

The risk must be very very low, if you read the article it suggests a bite alone is not sufficient, it needs a blood meal that takes 15-20 minutes to transmit the pathogens if I read it correctly, see the discussion.

Mosquitos carry Lyme disease but there is no credible evidence showing they transmit it to humans.
 99ster 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

They'll be the least of our worries!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-41141330
 JohnnyW 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Deer keds indeed. As a hairy, sweaty man who relies on the good ole' Scottish outdoors as my living, they come an equal second alongside ticks as my most hated pest.....and we all know who's first!
Moley 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Same is true all over the UK. Worst places I've found for ticks have been the North York Moors and Mid Wales.

We are mid Wales and very rarely have ticks (in 30 years living here), in fact we both had one this summer and commented that we couldn't remember when we last saw one. My wife seems slightly more susceptible that I do (she's far more succulent) and I wonder if some people catch them more than others? I like to think I move too fast for them, but not these days!
 Simon Caldwell 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Moley:

I certainly seem to suffer more than my fair share - after climbing at Craig y Aderyn once, my partner had no ticks, I counted 24...
 Roadrunner5 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell: The NE USA was awful this year. I'd pull 10-20 ticks a day off my dog, 5-10 off my legs.

But strangely they disappear in the heat of the summer. Most were dog ticks and not deer ticks, which don't carry Lyme, however they do carry other nasty disease.

toad 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:
If I remember correctly, the Kinda were just the hapless pawns of the Mara, which was some kind of giant telepathic snake.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...