UKC

Ken Jackson, Climbing in the Dark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alan moore 03 Sep 2017
Was lent a signed copy of this by a neighbour who used to be in the Cleveland MC with Ken Jackson and Tony Marr and the like.
It's a magic little book full of a lifetime of climbing memories that should reach a wider audience.
Who's read it?
 Greenbanks 03 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:

Who's it published by? I'd be interested in getting a copy.
Thanks
OP alan moore 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Self published (!), 2009, Boddy Printers, Middlesbrough.
 Franco Cookson 03 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:
Great book. Was lucky enough to see a hilarious talk from him on the subject about 10 years ago. Think there is a copy in the Cleveland MC hut in Patterdale.
Post edited at 22:52
 Mike-W-99 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I got it on kindle format from amazon a few years ago, still available.
It is a very good read.
 Rick Graham 04 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:
Ken and Tony were some of my mentors (and inspiration ) when I started climbing and joined the CMC in 69.

Ken was a legend then.
A strong, technically capable climber, who was as good at climbing down as up.
His cautious approach lead to some long belaying sessions for his partners.

I did not climb much with Ken, but did miss a pint or two one evening at Peak Scar and a walk back from Scrubby in the dark after waiting for him to finish a route.

Happy days. Out of interest, who is your neighbour who used to be a member.

Edit, forgot to mention I enjoyed the book.
Post edited at 17:00
OP alan moore 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

See email...
 Teappleby 04 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:
My mum did some work on this book, so I picked up the copy we had lying around and couldn't put it down. Great little read!
Nice to hear about someone else having issues with moving quickly in the alps!
Post edited at 22:46
OP alan moore 05 Sep 2017
In reply to Teappleby:

> Great little read!

> Nice to hear about someone else having issues with moving quickly in the alps!

I've given up on so many climbing biographies when they reach the"then I went to the Alps" chapters, but in this book, the story telling ramps up the entertainment value. He clearly played down his climbing ability but the fears, issues and disasters are all very recognise able!
 Teappleby 05 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:
Bit too recognisable in my case. I also missed the descent off the peigne once and had very similar experience getting off it. All I could think as we abbed through the night was 'I've read of this and still managed to do the same thing. This is going to take a while!'

Reread it again afterwards and couldn't believe how similar it all sounded. Made a good story though!
Post edited at 09:00
 Greenbanks 05 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:

I've just picked up a copy from Amazon, so looking forward to it greatly & appreciate the tip off.

I also fell into the Amazon trap, of looking at their suggested reading for me - and ended up buying Hinkes's 8000 Metre Peaks coffee-tablet. I've just got to explain it now to the Domestic Chancellor of the Exchequer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...