UKC

Crank bros /Shimano SPD cleat compatibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 03 Sep 2017
This is an odd one.
A while back I gave up on MTB clip in pedals and lent my old shimano dx636 pedals and shoes with shimano cleats to my dad (we have identical feet luckily).
He used them for a bit then a knee injury meant he moved back to flats and the SPDs went back in the garage.
I've since decided to give them a go again and having dug the shoes out I find that for some reason he's got Crank Bros cleats on them but as far as I know he's only ever had shimano pedals.

Anyone know if this even works? we can't find the pedals at the moment so I can't check myself.

The problem I can see straight off is that the bolts are too long and sticking into the under sole putting a lump in it, and the second problem that the old cleats are probably long lost.
In reply to gethin_allen:

I can't see how it would work. If it clipped in, I'd be terrified it wouldn't unclip. Are you positive they're crank bros? Crank cleats are symmetrical longitudinally and transversely whereas SPD are just longitudinally symmetrical. Cleats can be picked up for peanuts on eBay.
OP gethin_allen 03 Sep 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> I can't see how it would work. If it clipped in, I'd be terrified it wouldn't unclip. Are you positive they're crank bros? Crank cleats are symmetrical longitudinally and transversely whereas SPD are just longitudinally symmetrical. Cleats can be picked up for peanuts on eBay.

Absolutely sure they are crank bros, I spent a while looking at the photos on CRC, the symetrical ones are the "zero" cleats, the normal cleats are offset a few degrees.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/crank-brothers-premium-cleat/rp-prod1305...
Which is the ones I have.
Rigid Raider 04 Sep 2017

They look pretty similar to SPD cleats. I bet they do work; as long as the "claws" of the pedal can fit over them and then snap shut and as long as twisting the foot is sufficient to open the claws again, why not? SPD cleats have a little boss at the rear, which opens the claws allowing you to unclip.
OP gethin_allen 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:
So my dad claims to have never changed the cleats and it must be the spd fairies. At which point i don't trust anything he says about them working fine with the shimano pedals.
Post edited at 20:57
OP gethin_allen 05 Sep 2017

There has been further clarification, at some point my dad bought some Crank Bros candy pedals but couldn't remember doing this. This doesn't explain where my DX636s have gone, they're classics now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...