UKC

Banff / Jasper areas - things to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyfallsoff 04 Sep 2017
I'm off to the Rockies next week and hiring a camper van - given the wealth of experience on here, wanted to see if anyone had any "must dos" or general advice?

I won't be doing any technical climbing as I've been out of practice due to injury for a year, but any non-technical peaks, particularly good remote spots, wild camping hints or just anything anyone has done out there and really enjoyed would be greatly appreciated.

Some canoeing, MTBing and road cycling are all pencilled in, but all ideas welcome!

Cheers
 Lamb 05 Sep 2017
In reply to andyfallsoff:
I'd recommend spending more of your time around Jasper than Banff, Jasper is much less touristy and in some ways still feels more like a prairie town, whereas Banff is more something akin to Chamonix mid summer. Maligne Lake SE of Jasper is nice and a good location for canoeing, you can hire one there. The Miette hot springs were good and worth a visit. In Jasper itself, Evil Dave's Grill is well worth stopping at for dinner, as is The Other Paw Bakery Cafe if you want to grab some lunch to takeaway or sit in. Plenty easy walks around Lake Louise, not so busy the further away you get from the Lake, with the Lake Agnes Tea House worth a stop. If you fancy some luxury for the night, then I'd highly recommend Storm Mountain Lodge for a night; it's between Lake Louise and Banff. Banff itself is busy and touristy, lots of rafting, mtbing etc around there. Up around Lake Minnewanka is a bit more peaceful with nice trails. Canmore is worth a stop to if you are coming from Calgary, Grizzly Paw Brewing Company is worth a stop for eats and a drink.

Trees should be starting to change colour while your're over there, so it should look great.

Have a good one!
Post edited at 07:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...