UKC

mount a pull up bar (or climbing wall frame) on breezeblocks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 06 Sep 2017
My house is about 12 years old and the internal garage walls are made of breeze blocks, but two different types - one side of the garage the blocks looks like solid concrete with a wavy pattern on them, the other side looks kind of blobby/bubbly/like the inside of an aero chocolate bar, like blown concrete or something < that is the side I would ideally like the pull up bar on!

The bar has 4 brackets that take 2 big screws each so the load would be fairly spread out - do you think the breeze blocks are structurally sound enough for this? I've read about not using a hammer drill.

Longer term I'd love to try building a basic, small ish slighly overhung home climbing wall on this wall so wondered if it would be ok to mount the backing beams/frame on to breeze blocks also!

Many thanks for any advice. There should be a DIY subforum on this site...!
 Toerag 06 Sep 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:
Mount your item to a wooden/metal plate, then mount the plate to the wall if the item has a small fixing area. I think your bar has enough size and fixing opportunities to spread the load, but you need to use special fixings rather than screws - although your static weight isn't excessive, your dynamic load can exceed 2.5kn (eg. bounce testing can break small RPs) Aerated thermal blocks require special fixings - googling 'heavy duty fixings for aerated blocks' yields some useful results.
This is useful:-
http://www.fischer.co.uk/PortalData/10/Resources/support/sales-documents/do...
The resin mortar option is the one you need. Better to be overkill than blow out a block (or more).
Can you put threaded rods right through the wall with a backing plate on the far side??
Post edited at 12:16
 AP Melbourne 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Toerag:
> Can you put threaded rods right through the wall with a backing plate on the far side??

Beat me to it Toerag.
Definitely; If access is available to the outside face of the block wall go right through and use vertical spreaders [toes-out channel or box section] to pick up a number of courses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...