UKC

Those ear things

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 06 Sep 2017
Is it me? Folk walking around with attached mobile ear pieces; ostentatious and quite unnecessary don't you think?
 felt 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Is it me?

It's your age.

> ostentatious and quite unnecessary, don't you think?

Certainly.

toad 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
Totally Mexico

Clauso 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I used to feel the same way about people with horseless carriages. In fact, I even went so far as to write a strongly-worded worded missive to The Times about it. No joy.
 wilkie14c 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Vital for those types who need both hands to post about how self important they are on facebook
 Timmd 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

It makes it harder to work out which are the nuts people just walking along having conversations with themselves.
 Ianto Bach 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
The new Apple wireless ear buds (or whatever they're called) always look a little odd to me - don't know why...

Do you feel the same about people with "wired" ear things, often connected to phones and not just old skool "Walkmans".

What about Bluetooth headphones? Are these any better than the single ear thing I think you're on about?
 Bone Idle 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Nice comment mr chronic normal.
 Philip 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Is it me? Folk walking around with attached mobile ear pieces; ostentatious and quite unnecessary don't you think?

Are you talking about Bluetooth headphones or those weird ear piercings?
OP Greenbanks 06 Sep 2017
In reply to felt:

> It's your age<

They seem pretty old-fashioned to me - all the rage (however daft) about 10 years ago.

wercat 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I neverguessed when I watched the Tenth Planet as a kid that the inhabitants of Mondas would take over our public spaces
 Big Ger 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

A respected Swiss scientist, Conrad Gessner, might have been the first to raise the alarm about the effects of information overload. In a landmark book, he described how the modern world overwhelmed people with data and that this overabundance was both "confusing and harmful" to the mind.

The media now echo his concerns with reports on the unprecedented risks of living in an "always on" digital environment.

It's worth noting that Gessner, for his part, never once used e-mail and was completely ignorant about computers. That's not because he was a technophobe but because he died in 1565. His warnings referred to the seemingly unmanageable flood of information unleashed by the printing press."
 Dax H 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Is it me? Folk walking around with attached mobile ear pieces; ostentatious and quite unnecessary don't you think?

Ostentatious and unnecessary for you maybe.
As important to me as any other tool in my tool box.
My ear piece goes in at 7am every Monday to Friday and doesn't come out again until I get home again or the site I am on is too loud and ear plugs are needed.
Some days my phone doesn't ring, other days it doesn't stop, personal record was 86 calls by lunchtime.
Having my hands free to carry on working is invaluable be it using spanners or at my desk working up a risk assessment or report.

One massive benefit is that I can access my phones functions whilst on the phone.
Brief data from every job I have done going back to 2007 is stored on it so when a customer rings the first thing I do whilst talking to them is have a quick check of the history of the machines on their site.

Being able to say there and then when the customer is questioning a breakdown "we'll sir if you check your records you will find that my job sheet dated the 13th of February 2017 said the machine needed removing for overhaul because it was 10000 hours overdue and vibration analysis was showing an increase in wear to the bearings"

Far better than "I don't know, I will check the records and ring you back"
OP Greenbanks 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Dax H:
Being able to access your phone's functions during a call is a good point - it's very frustrating sometimes not being able to do this.
Having said that, I'd feel very controlled (as well as feel daft) having one of those things on my ear virtually 24/7.
 Timmd 07 Sep 2017
In reply to bsamo:

> Nice comment mr chronic normal.

I'm the last person I'd call normal - that's why I joke about such things.

Regards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...