UKC

One helmet to rule them all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 06 Sep 2017
Evening all. Well, as it says above, if you were going to Europe for a holiday which would include cycling, sport climbing and ski touring and could only take one helmet, what would it be? If your answer is "there isn't one, because...", save your keyboard time, because it won't solve the problem

Cheers, JW
 a crap climber 06 Sep 2017
In reply to John Ww:

Cebe trilogy is rated for all of those. I use it as my skiing helmet, venting isnt amazing for cycling, plus it's a bit on the chunky side for a climbing helmet. Works best if you have a very round head, which I don't
OP John Ww 06 Sep 2017
In reply to a crap climber:

Cheers for that, just watched the video, and it looks like exactly what I'm after. Just got to see if I can find one now...
 andy_e 06 Sep 2017
In reply to John Ww:

Petzl Meteor 3 might do it?

Can't comment on it for skiing, but does fine for winter mountaineering.

In reply to John Ww:
Hi John

I live near vallouise and when out touring those that do wear helmets tend to wear climbing ones any way, Ski (piste) helmets tend to be to heavy, I know Salewa do a climb and ski one, but looks to hot for biking?

I would have thought the new Petzl Sirocco would be a good shout for climbing and skiing as it had more coverage for the back of the head than a lot of climbing helmets, it's not tested for biking but should be cool enough????

a lot of the climbing and skiing shops hire helmets, so if you really wonted you could bring a bike one and hire the others?

cheers
Post edited at 08:31
 DamonRoberts 07 Sep 2017
In reply to John Ww:

I've got the old Scirroco, it's as vented as an average cheap MTB helmet but is lighter. I'm not sure it'd be as good in a crash though, it's kinda soft and squishy compared to a bike helmet (if you squeeze both sides in it'll flex lots) rather than spreading the impact out. On the other hand, I assume it's rated for rocks falling in your head so it'll probably be fine.

Can't comment on the ski touring but it might get a bit chilly.

I can say the Scirroco is great for climbing in. It's low profile and light.
In reply to John Ww:
Bern helmets could be a good choice.

http://www.bernunlimited.com/-bike-helmets-union-mips-M-Matte-Grey-MIPS_2

The union is cycling rated and has 'multidirectional impact protection' for extreme sports, should be good for all adventures!

U.K. Seller https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bern-union-mens-urban-helmet-with-visor.html?...
Post edited at 10:43
OP John Ww 07 Sep 2017
In reply to jonny.greenwood:

Cheers people, keep the ideas coming

JW
 Kahti 07 Sep 2017
In reply to John Ww:

Kong also has a "triple rated" helmet IIRC. Dynafit has a climbing/skiing helmet that would be light enough for cycling i'd imagine. POC and Sweet Protection both have climb/ski options with MIPS but are chunkier and heavier than a bike helmet. I have the Sweet Igniter and while its very nice for snowboard mountaineering its not my first choice for any kind of real climbing and I wouldn't wear it on a bike unless I really had to.

All three sports have quite different requirements though so anything is going to be somewhat of a compromise in weight, bulk or safety.

Presumably you are either driving your own vehicle to be able to take your own climbing, biking and ski gear - in which case an extra helmet isn't going to take up much room, or renting stuff - In which case why not rent an appropriate helmet?
 Tobes 07 Sep 2017
In reply to John Ww:

'One helmet to rule them all'

Either that one in America or the other one in North Korea?
OP John Ww 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Tobes:

I said rule, not ruin

JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...