UKC

Thermarest Ridgerest SOLite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 O'Donopoo 07 Sep 2017
Hi, I need a new mat for winter and was looking at a CCF mat for the weight (and price) saving. I'm considering the ridgerest but at £30 for a glorified version of a cheapo mat I feel I'm being conned so have a few questions
1. Will this mat absorb water? I'm assuming that CCF means that it's sealed so it won't but thought I'd ask as my last mat was thrown out for just this reason.
2. How warm is it? It claims to be okay down to -9 but these things are often exaggerated
3. Is it actually any better than a cheapo foam mat?
4. If you've had experience with this mat would you consider it worth the money?
Thanks in Advance
 gethin_allen 07 Sep 2017
In reply to O'Donopoo:

1) No
2) Depends on what you're laying on, if it's soft or snowy then it's not that warm because the snow fills the grooves on the underside, if it's a firm surface it's better, but it's hard to give a objective number as to what temp it's good for as it depends on a lot of things.
3) Yes, it's more comfortable although bulky.
4) You can get them a lot cheaper than £30, closer to £20 really and at that price you won't get anything better.
 TobyA 08 Sep 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

> 4) You can get them a lot cheaper than £30, closer to £20 really and at that price you won't get anything better.

There's not much in it but I think my Z Rest is slightly warmer and slightly more comfy. My Ridge rest must be going on 20 years old now. Great equipment that lasts very well. I've lent mine to my nephew currently for DofE but only because I have the Z Rest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...