UKC

Dolomites Trail Run Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EuanM 08 Sep 2017
I'm Looking for a bit of advice. We arrived in the Dolomites today and apart from tomorrow the weather for climbing looks a bit rubbish.

I'm trying to salvage the trip by planning some trail and mountain running which should be possible in the forecast conditions.

Unfortunately I don't have a guidebook for hikes/running and I'm struggling to find much non commercial multi day hut routes online.

I might try an adapted version of the dolomite skyline race but looking for other options.

Does anyone have any suggestions of running/hiking routes 10-20 miles preferably with a bit of height gain and some good views?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 KevinJ 09 Sep 2017
In reply to EuanM:
Euan,
Really depends which part of the Dolomites you are in.
From memory, there is a pleasant route out of Sest/Sexten on the north side of the valley which basically follows the border with Austria. It has a few optional cut off points whihc return to the valley at various points.
Heading out from the same town, there is a trial which leads out in the other direction, gaining a bit of height and bringing you out at Tre Cime. Stunning views. Again from memory, this can be turned into a circular route around (I think Monte Paterno??) to return to the valley.
Further afield, the circuit around Lago Di Braies is stunning and can be extended up to one of several rifugios. The car park near the hotel gets quite busy at weekends, but the views make up for it. Not so much height gain initially and it is quite gradual when you are away from the lake.
There are also some good options on the Plateau at Compatsch, or up and onto Scilliar/Schlern. And the circuit around the Plattkofel and the Langkofel is generally really good trail with a little height gain. The heigh gain is increased on that circuit if you go up to the Rifugio between the two mountains. This is also handy for a refreshment stop. You can pick this route up from near the Sella Pass.

I hope this assists? Am travelling to Chamonix just now, so typing this in the car purely from memory.
Kev

OP EuanM 09 Sep 2017
In reply to KevinJ:

Kev, thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll definitely check them out.

We have the car so relatively flexible (staying in Val Gardena).

Ran from Canazei to the top of Piz Boe today. Really enjoyable route but pretty cloudy and freezing at the top.

Enjoy Chamonix

Euan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...