UKC

Ml rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dingerbell 09 Sep 2017
Hi got my Ml course very soon and thought I would buy the rope needed just for keeps sake and practice knots ect.
Could anyone tell me what size and which to buy which I would need for a mountain leader.
Thanks!
In reply to Dingerbell:

Two very different ropes linked to their

One is a short half rated climbing rope

The other is 8mm of accessory cord that states it is not suitable for climbing

I'd go for the climbing rope every time (That is the one from Decathlon)
 John Kelly 09 Sep 2017
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):
Yes but at that diameter you have to be a bit cautious, quite difficult to grip without some sort rope clamp I find, still loads you could do with it and I agree better than the confidence rope.
An 8mm climbing rope might be a bit more manageable. I use a (skinny)7.9 and an 8mm regularly, there is a surprising difference between the two
Post edited at 15:11
 random_watcher 09 Sep 2017

The Beal rope linked above is a twin rated rope, not accessory cord

http://www.beal-planet.com/en/cordes-jumellees/22-cordes-rando.html

In reply to random_watcher:

OK maybe not accessory cord. Here is a quote from what they say

"That is with a fall limited to factor 0.8, but with 80 kg on one strand, and the impact force measured with the same parameters. Even though we forbid the use of RANDO rope on one strand for climbing and mountaineering, these two activities are nevertheless practicable if you use 2 strands of RANDO rope."
 Fiona Reid 09 Sep 2017
In reply to RyanS:

There was a thread on this a while back: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=646306&v=1#x8352915

I used an 8.3mm 30m long half rope for mine. I figured I'd rather have a rope I could use for climbing than a walking rope.
 Wainers44 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

Not the fashion I know but I use a 10mm fatty rope. It's too heavy but the couple of times I have used it properly the fact it looked like you could hang a car off it seemed to help the victims state of mind!
 machine 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

Simond Rando from Decathlon. You cant go wrong.
 jezzah 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

Why not wait until you have done the course (presumably it's the training you are going on) and discuss what rope/ type of rope to get while you are there?

Cheers
Jez

ML Summer & Winter & MIA
Dingerbell 09 Sep 2017
In reply to jezzah:
Hi jezza yes its the ML course, I just wanted to pratice knots ect? What knots would I need to know? I believe its changed recently.
Post edited at 22:39
In reply to Dingerbell:

Shouldn't a mountain leader know this sort of thing...?
LakeDistrictMountaineer 09 Sep 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

He's going on the training course so he is not yet ML..... He is going on it to learn!
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

That's always my concern about these qualifications; the lack of experience. Courses are all well and good, but experience is preferable, IMHO.

Well, experience, followed by a course, and then assessment probably the best.
 martinturner 10 Sep 2017
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

Understandable that he doesn't know everything, and the training is called 'training' for a reason.

But my personal view is, that if your preparing for this kind of leadership course, you should be kinda ready for it before going for it? Asin, you should have the skills and experience personally, before gaining a qualification to lead others?

Nothing against the OP, and not having ago, just a viewpoint
 Wainers44 10 Sep 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

The ropework is so "special" to ml, and in reality so rarely used by most that learning the best practice on training isn't a bad idea. Being shown the range of ways to do things.....as in most cases there isn't a right and wrong way....also helps rule out bad habits!

To be fair at least he is getting a rope for training. I have delivered quite a few training and assessment courses and was always concerned how those who presented for training, who didn't own a rope, were going to consolidate what they learnt!
 jezb1 10 Sep 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

> I have delivered quite a few training and assessment courses and was always concerned how those who presented for training, who didn't own a rope, were going to consolidate what they learnt!

They were probably going to buy one after the training having got some good advice from the trainer on what diameter / length / type to buy, and having had a play with a variety of different ones on the training course.
 Wainers44 10 Sep 2017
In reply to jezb1:

Yep fair point. Many were climbers so were more interested in hearing how the rope they could use could be used for both!
Dingerbell 10 Sep 2017
You cant just go on a ML leader unless you have done at least 40 5 hours plus quality mountain days and 8 wild camps, so basically you cant just attend a course and pass. it takes at least 2 years to complete really.

In reply to Dingerbell:

Having done the ML training. I think the idea that some one should know rope work before is quite harsh. I think many people with all the skills needed to lead Uk summer hill walking would never have done any rope work. The rope work element is about helping others over steep terrain. It makes sense to include but it not something that someone would in their own hill time. I certainly haven't. Although as a climber I had done far more rope work than most people om my ML course

Is summer hillwalking really regarded as sufficient prior experience to take a MLcourse?!
 Mike-W-99 10 Sep 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

Its a summer hillwalking qualification so yes.
In reply to John Stainforth:

Do you know what an ML course is?

Its a qualification to lead summer UK walking on non technical terrain. So yes yes that is the prior experience required

From the Plas y Brenin website

http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-detail.php?coursecode=MQA03&irisref=174

EXPERIENCE REQUIRED

Mountain Training (MT) strictly requires that all students have registered with them for the Mountain Leader Award prior to commencing the course. You need to have completed and logged in your DLOG a minimum of 20 quality mountain days, these can have taken place at any point (before or after you have registered). You will benefit most from the course if you are fit and have experience of using a map and compass in the mountain environment.

In reply to Dingerbell:

Apologies for hijacking your thread with my moderate disquiet about courses such as this.

Hope you got useful advice, and that you enjoy your course.
Dingerbell 11 Sep 2017
Thanks and yes great advice.

C Witter 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dingerbell:

Another option: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/beal-karma-9-8-30m-single-rope-p390862

Benefits being, it's a climbing rope with a good diameter, but pretty cheap... I got it a bit cheaper that £39 though...

I've used this quite a few times on scrambles, as the short length means it's light, whilst the chunkier diameter makes it more durable and handle better. Plus, you can take a lead fall on to it, if you're doing a harder scramble and decide a rope is necessary... E.g. On a grade three scramble like Pike O'Stickle Main Face or Crescent Climb (Pavey), or the pitched section of Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday Crag... And, if you climb, you can use it as a gym rope the rest of the time...

But, if you just want to practice knots, any old piece of cord will do! Shoe lace? You can do pretty much everything with that, including prussik knots (if you prussik the lace onto your finger)...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...