UKC

Cogne: first timers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 09 Sep 2017
Cogne. First week Jan 2018. Did the usual due diligence on this but still askin'... Any personal accommodation hints appreciated. Searched Airbnb revealing a few at £50pppn and looked at usual hotels (La Barme) that come up. Do you need winter tyres on hire car - using Malpensa airport - needed in Rjukan. Lastly, the guidebook...is there an english language version? Anyone got one second hand? In fact any hints appreciated. Thanks.
 Mr. Lee 09 Sep 2017
In reply to gilliesp:

Definitely need winter tyres or chains. The road immediately out of Cogne towards Lillaz is quite steep. If the road is icy then you'll never get up in just summer tyres (speaking from personal experience).
 MG 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Also a legal requirement.
 PaulW 09 Sep 2017
 nufkin 10 Sep 2017
In reply to gilliesp:

> Lastly, the guidebook...is there an english language version?

Alpine Ice has english in it. It's not as comprehensive as the Autour Mt. Blanc vol.2 book, but you can use it to help work out approach, descent, etc for routes it doesn't feature, and it's not too hard to work out the gist of the descriptions in the french guide - especially if you spend a bit of time with Google Translate.
As I recall a nice-looking local guide was recently published, but I don't remember seeing an english version
 aostaman 10 Sep 2017
In reply to gilliesp:

To be clear. Chains are a legal requirement for the whole Aosta Valley October to April.

I am in Aosta next week. Remind me with a mail and I will check the guide books.
 Mr. Lee 10 Sep 2017
In reply to gilliesp:

Just go with the Damilano/Perroux guide as it's pretty self-explanatory even if you're your French is hopeless like mine. I've got the Alpine Ice guide and it functions poorly as a guidebook, plus it has an odd selection of routes. It's somewhere between a guidebook and coffee table book but lacking in both departments.
OP gilliesp 13 Sep 2017
In reply to gilliesp:

Thanks all for generous advice including tyre legalities in Aosta. Now booked in as advised and hired car with winter tyres - from Malpensa. Even got half price long screw on UKC for sale forum. Guide Book next...
OP gilliesp 13 Sep 2017
In reply to PaulW:

Booked. Many thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...