UKC

Lowe alpine rucksack wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Eeep 11 Sep 2017
I bought my first Lowe alpine bag, (airzone trail 35), took it out for the first time last weekend to north wales for cragging. There's now a hole in the bottom. I've taken it back to go outdoors and she said it caught on something and it's not a fault of the bag so she won't do anything. I don't remember being caught on anything. There might have been some wear heading down to the crag but I don't specifically remembering being caught or feeling caught on anything. I bought this bag to replace a berghaus one I used for three years before a zipper broke.

I guess my opinion is that a bag made for outdoors should be more hardwearing but the lady at the store kept saying it's not a fault. Opinions please
 dollydog 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Eeep:

itll be under a guarentee;sounds like shes too lazy to get the bag returned to the makers.id contact the shops head office and the makers website. genuine gripe should bring results.
In reply to Eeep:

LA are brilliant when it comes to replacing parts an repairing rucksacks. I've sent my old peak attack back 4 times when buckles broke and I've had them replaced every time with no expense and no postage costs (sent through Tiso). Luckily the buckle design on the new packs has now changed for the better.
OP Eeep 11 Sep 2017
In reply to dollydog:
Thanks. She said she'll send it to LA if I want but there wouldn't be any point because this type of damage isn't covered and she doesn't know how long it would take (maybe at least 4-5weeks). I tried to tell her I expect a bag to last longer than one day, even if it's touched some rock. I got the impression she thinks the bags shouldn't be exposed to any rough surface. It does say on the LA website that holes aren't covered.
Post edited at 12:28
OP Eeep 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Unfortunately I can't find my paper receipt and it specifically says on the page that holes in bags aren't covered.
 Fiona Reid 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Eeep:

A lot of gear these days seems to be made of much lighter material than in the past and thus rips/gets holes in far too easily. Although it does seems pretty poor to get holes in the bottom with one day of use

If the hole isn't too big then you could maybe use tenacious tape, gorilla tape or spinnaker tape on either side of the hole to fix it? If the hole is really big then some heavy duty linen thread + a suitable sized needle and perhaps tape over the repair too just to give some extra protection/ stop the stitching getting rubbed etc.

Good luck
 TobyA 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Eeep:

It's not much help but isn't that model a lightweight walking pack? Cragging can be really tough on bags, lots of weight, metal pushing against the material, and being moved around lots often along the floor.

I'd try Gorilla tape too.
OP Eeep 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll try that
OP Eeep 11 Sep 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah I guess you can't really have one bag for everything. I was just really surprised that it would happen after one outing, and my last bag lasted so long without any problems. Any recommendations on backpacks for cragging?
In reply to Eeep:

> Yeah I guess you can't really have one bag for everything. I was just really surprised that it would happen after one outing, and my last bag lasted so long without any problems. Any recommendations on backpacks for cragging?

Seems you have been unlucky, but maybe it's too lightweight? All my go to sacs are Lowe Alpine ones - Crag Attack, Centrino, and an really old one still going strong that I can't remember the name of. None of mine have got any holes even when used without being protective of them. They have taken all what they get like climbing up chimneys and on the likes of the rough Skye gabbro. All mine are at least a few years old and the material may be thicker than your new one.

Can't help on other makes, sorry. As suggested tape/sew a repair and use it for a while to get some use out of it, or you could sell it as is with a hole I'm sure quite easily. Proving a manufacturing fault will be tricky, though LA may do a repair if you ask.
 TobyA 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Eeep:
I reviewed a bunch but it was some years back now https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3906 Nowadays, if you are not hiking miles in it, maybe this is the best value for money https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rock-bag-35-l-id_8360932.html ?
Post edited at 20:56
 wbo 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Eeep: if it's any consolation about 25 years ago I bought a POD alpine (think that was the model) that was reputedly bullet proof and put a tear in the bottom on the first day I used it.

OP Eeep 11 Sep 2017
In reply to wbo:

Thanks glad to know it's not just me. I'll try and patch this one and look at other bags and be more careful with them
OP Eeep 11 Sep 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. Funnily enough I was looking at this one today. Is it a lot bigger than the DMM classic? Ive got a DMM and I find I can get two ropes and some gear in but not lunch or anything else. Normally carry another bag for layers, food and other bits or give someone else one of the ropes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...