UKC

New Midlayer, whats out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kahti 11 Sep 2017
My old Gucci R2 has seen better days and I'm thinking about a replacement. However with all the fancy new tech out there its a bit more choice than it used to be. It's all pretty confusing though.

So i'm ideally after something similar or slightly warmer than the R2. Will be layered over a ME eclipse in winter for climbing and lift served snowboarding (skinning on the very coldest of days maybe). In summer it would be nice to be able to throw it on at belays/between boulders without it being useless in the wind (like traditional fleece). Will probably never be worn for really high intensity activity as at that point I would tend to just take my midlayer off, so some windproofing takes priority over all out breathability, if that is an option with all these fancy new fabrics.

What would you recommend and why? I've heard a lot about the Nano Air but its damn expensive and maybe not that durable? Any suggestions from Rab or ME are particularly welcome as I can get them for a very good price.

Cheers!
In reply to Kahti:

Windproof shell over the fleece. Then you don't need such a thick fleece.

I very rarely wear my R2 (or equivalents) for active use.
 JayPee630 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Kahti:

I never wear fleece anymore really. Rab Alpha Flux, Patagonia Nano Air Light hoody, Rab Vapour Rise, Mountain Equipment Kinesis, I'd get something like that. Does for a mid layer but usually as an outer as well in most conditions, also breathes well, alright windproofness and is light.
 tehmarks 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Kahti:

I got a Nano Air last year, and it was the best jacket purchase I've ever made. It occasionally gets used as an outer layer on grit and is holding up well.
 Sam B 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Kahti:

I'd like to put in a word for Polartec fabrics. For your application, the Powerstretch Pro one might be a good choice - because it has a pretty good combination of thermal retention and reasonable windproofing (I use it for a balaclava, for example).

Their other fabrics make good soft shell layers. I wear a Montane Sabretooth soft shell made of the Power Shield one, for example. You might find it a bit sweaty for a midlayer though.
 Jim Walton 13 Sep 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Another Vote for the Nano Air, I have the Nano Air Vest and love it. Under kit, over kit. Great.
1philjones1 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Kahti:
Have a look at the Zajo Arth jacket. Just got one on Sport Pursuit at less than half price and it's on Alpine trek or similar for around £75. Very lightweight insulation with stretch panels at the sides. I've used it for last week in the Alps as a very warm mid layer and good for belays. Similar to the Arcteryx Atom LT without the price tag. Seems very well made. Sizing is small. I'm a 41/2 inch chest, 6'2" and XL fits well
Post edited at 11:28
OP Kahti 15 Sep 2017
In reply to 1philjones1:

Cheers for all the replies! I found a nano air for the bargain price of £83 from bergzeit so I'm going to see what all the noise is about!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...