/ FREE: Non Doug Scott related products forum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
giles - on 12 Sep 2017 - user since 04/Feb/15
The crawl down the Ogre is definitely one of the inspirational mountain survival stories but recently have been wondering whether a new sale/wanted forum for non Doug Scott related items would be useful?
leon 1 on 12 Sep 2017
In reply to giles:
Absolutely ! To post 21 adverts at once completely swamping the Premier Posts is really unnecessary. I'm not sure why Denise Prior/Can couldn't just have one Ad with all the dates on it? Whilst I'm sure UKC enjoy the extra revenue from this style perhaps a separate forum for lectures, films etc would be better?
Id certainly be pissed off if Id paid to sell anything on Premier Posts to have it completely taken over like this.
However as was discussed on the Pub Forum, it does give you a chance to see if you can get a full house of 'The Crawl' premier posts (Edit Has to be Scott only. Scott Bonington doesnt count)

I expect this thread will shortly be removed
Post edited at 11:21
Martin Bennett - on 12 Sep 2017

> I expect this thread will shortly be removed

But until then let's keep it going in the hope that Denise has a look and realises her zeal to promote her excellent charity events is having a negative effect due to the annoyance experienced by many because of it.
Scott K - on 12 Sep 2017
In reply to giles:
Completely agree. It's really putting me off the forum at the moment and no way would I pay for a premier post.
bouldery bits - on 12 Sep 2017
In reply to leon 1:

> However as was discussed on the Pub Forum, it does give you a chance to see if you can get a full house of 'The Crawl' premier posts (Edit Has to be Scott only. Scott Bonington doesnt count)

What do you mean doesn't count???? Took me 37 refreshes!!!

tspoon1981 on 12 Sep 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

THIRTY SEVEN?? Pffft. it took me at least 54 goes to get the full set.
Hugh Mongous - on 13 Sep 2017
In reply to giles:

> The crawl down the Ogre is definitely one of the inspirational mountain survival stories but recently have been wondering whether a new sale/wanted forum for non Doug Scott related items would be useful?

Doesn't this kind of imply that we then have a sale/wanted forum purely for Doug Scott related items! I guess the current one is de facto that already, but even so....

leon 1 on 13 Sep 2017
In reply to : Since some of these shows aren't until late November does that mean that the Premier Forums will remain clogged with all these ads until then ? Hopefully they will disappear one by one after each performance

In reply to giles:

Apologies for the late entry into this thread, I've just got back from a few days in Innsbruck.

This has been on our radar for a while, but up until recently has never been a problem. There's been sporadic announcements from time to time, but nothing like what we've had over the last two months, which has almost accounted for a take-over of the whole FS forum.

In light of this we've been in touch with Denise to request that in future all lectures within the tour are referenced within a single Premier Post, that way making things more manageable in terms of space - plus all the information being in one place as opposed to many. As such, the situation should be resolved after this recent round of Premier Posts expire.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention (and giving us the necessary kick up the arse to sort it out).

leon 1 on 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:
Thanks for that Rob. It certainly needed sorting. My cynicism was apparently unfounded.
Post edited at 11:24
In reply to leon 1:

We've just received a very apologetic email from Denise, who I truly believe meant no harm whatsoever - more our fault for not having explained the system properly.

Either way, it's good to see it all sorted.
Chris Harris - on 13 Sep 2017

> Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

So the people who run UKC were, apparently, the only people who hadn't noticed this.......

In reply to Chris Harris:

I think my opening statement that 'this has been on our radar for a while' made it quite clear we were, but having been away had not been able to action it.

My words of thanks were more a polite re-iteration for the constructive comments that brought it back to the forefront, and now I am glad to say the issue has been resolved.

Everyones a winner (sung to the tune of Hot Chocolate).
leon 1 on 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing: 'As such, the situation should be resolved after this recent round of Premier Posts expire.'
I assume from that the F/S and Premier Posts will remain clogged for the next month at least as the tour starts in October until it ends in late November ? Will the Ads for the dates that have finished be removed one by one or are they all there until Nov ?
Is there no other way to resolve it earlier ?

ripper - on 13 Sep 2017

> Everyones a winner (sung to the tune of Hot Chocolate).

Apart from those whose hopes of achieving the sought-after Full House in the popular game of Doug Scott Bingo have now been cruelly dashed...
In reply to leon 1:
> Is there no other way to resolve it earlier ?

There is indeed, in fact - we've just done it

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=16
Post edited at 11:57
leon 1 on 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing: And.....Thank You. Sanity prevails.

Now I`ll have to find something else to bitch about .....

rj_townsend on 13 Sep 2017

> So the people who run UKC were, apparently, the only people who hadn't noticed this.......

How dare this free service have the audacity to inconvenience us mildly? Once you start paying for UKC, I'm sure your gripes will receive a swift, comprehensive response from a fully staffed customer service team. Until then...
FactorXXX - on 13 Sep 2017
In reply to rj_townsend:

How dare this free service have the audacity to inconvenience us mildly?

Free indeed, apart from the part of UKC which isn't free and what this thread is about.
FactorXXX - on 13 Sep 2017

So the people who run UKC were, apparently, the only people who hadn't noticed this...

UKC employees. The only people in work that don't spend all their time on UKC...
Ben_Climber - on 08 Oct 2017
In reply to giles:

Just to confirm I was in Buxton last night for the Ogre talk and it was fantastic! If you get a chance to go then don't miss out!
Community Action Nepal do some sterling work as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.