UKC

how to service my cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Legon 13 Sep 2017
Hi all, with a frayed wire on one of my Wild Country friends I decided that I would sort this myself. I came across this excellent source of info: http://www.kakibusok.plus.com/Equipment/RewireCams1/Rewire1.htm

Problem is I can't remove the remaining wire from the finger clasp. It appears to be held fast in two circular plastic fittings. I've tried unscrewing it (using a pair of pincers in the two holes) but it won't budge. Anyone else succeeded and can offer some pearls of wisdom?
 Martin Bennett 13 Sep 2017
In reply to Will Legon:

I just prize them out with something stiff and pointed.

Incidentally I don't have any use for strimmer (plastic) "cord" or whatever the term is. I simply use wire. And once done it's not, as Chris' article implies, just a temporary emergency measure - it's fixed. For good as far as I can tell. I've been doing 'em for myself and pals for years; lasts longer than the original but I don't yet know how long as these fixes have yet to fail. The only slight downside I know of is that the wire, not being as flexible as the original, can become a little bent when being carried in your rucksack. However it's a simple matter to straighten it again. This is most noticeable with bigger cams, say 3.5 upwards.

I had to experiment a bit with the wire I bought; my first choice very thin flexible wire proved too flimsy and broke. The stuff I then bought, from a local hardware store, is about the same diameter as the rigid wire on Technical Friends and Camalots.

Good luck with it. With a bit of practice you can do 'em in about 10 mins and Bob's yer uncle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...