UKC

Odd scam email aimed at climbing clubs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattrm 14 Sep 2017
Just been forwarded on a very odd email from one of the committee members of the club that I'm a member of. The text of the emails claims that I've been to the Alps recently (I wish!) and stolen a sleeping bag from someone and refuse to re-imburse them for the item. Apparently the Polish climber who's contacted the club is well known, so they can't say who they are, but if it's not sorted out they'll get in touch with the BMC to progress matters.

Seems like a highly targeted scam to me. Has anyone seen anything like this recently?

Or I guess if I'm being charitable, they've got the wrong Matthew Moore. Which is possible. 20 odd years of being exposed to the internet might have made me a bit cynical.
 bigbobbyking 14 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

If it's a scam it's a mighty odd one. Don't think any climbing club or friend would start reimbursing random people on the Internet for the sins of acquaintances without at least asking the accused if they'd done it.
OP mattrm 14 Sep 2017
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Apparently they've tried to ring me and I've not got back in touch with them. I'm pretty sleep deprived at the moment, but I think I'd remember someone from Poland ringing me up. I agree that it's very odd.
 FactorXXX 14 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

Maybe one of your mates winding you up?
OP mattrm 14 Sep 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

I've known the guy who emailed me for a long time and he's not that kind of person. But if it is a joke, then it's a good one.
 Mal Grey 14 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

Sounds more like mistaken identity than scam to me. Weird.

Brass Nipples 14 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

Sleep deprived, is the bag not very good then?
OP mattrm 14 Sep 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Sleep deprived, is the bag not very good then?

I have a 6 week old son. I do have a good sleeping bag actually, but it's by AlpKit. No the rather detailed story on the email said that I'd taken the bag to help with a rescue, left the bag ruined in the 'cosmics' hut, supplied my details with the ruined bag and then refused to replace it. It's all stunningly weird.
 birdie num num 14 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

Odd.
I recently stole a sleeping bag in the alps
OP mattrm 15 Sep 2017
In reply to birdie num num:
What have we told you about that Mr num num. Was it for the missus?
Post edited at 18:34
 FreshSlate 15 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

How did they get your name?
 Tobes 15 Sep 2017
In reply to mattrm:

> What have we told you about that Mr num num. Was it for the missus?

It 'was' the missus! Bud dem
 Dave the Rave 15 Sep 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

> Odd.

> I recently stole a sleeping bag in the alps

Was it to use as a condom num?
OP mattrm 15 Sep 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:
> How did they get your name?

I was on the committee for a number of years, wrote the newsletter and maintained the website. My full name is all over the website and newsletter. I also wrote a trip report about the alps trip that I went on years ago. Never really had the time/money to go back.
Post edited at 20:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...