UKC

Umbilical hernia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john_mx 18 Sep 2017

So I've just been told I have an umbilical hernia, anyone experienced this and how did it effect your climbing?

I have an op in 4 weeks, I cannot wait to get rid of it! I just wonder how long it takes before I can get back on the wall ...
Post edited at 17:59
 krikoman 18 Sep 2017
In reply to john_mx:

How bad is it?

I think I've got one ( for about three years) but haven't had it looked at

Mine doesn't bother me, apart from it stick out a little, about 15mm.
 Paul Evans 18 Sep 2017
In reply to john_mx:
I had one which was symptom free but detected and fixed at the same time as having my inguinal hernia fixed (which was definitely not symptom free). Mesh repair done for both. Recovery quick and easy.

krikoman 19 Sep 2017
In reply to Paul Evans:

Cheers, I might go and get mine seen to.
OP john_mx 19 Sep 2017
In reply to john_mx:

Hello, mines 7mm but it gives my cramps, I tried climbing and was in a lot of discomfort, I am hoping I'll be climbing about 2 weeks after the op but I guess will just have to wait and see
 summo 19 Sep 2017
In reply to john_mx:
Had mine done years ago, I think it depends on how long it is, i was pretty mobile within days with only a 2 to 2.5cm cut. But I wouldn't do anything at the wall that might involve a lead fall or jumping off bouldering for a few weeks. Bottom roping should be ok. I think it's the pressure of your intestines pushing against the inside is the problem, so you should avoid anything that might cause you to stop very quickly. They sometimes say no driving for a week or two.
Post edited at 13:57
 seankenny 19 Sep 2017
In reply to john_mx:

Hey John, I had two of these little buggers repaired in an operation 10 days ago. Before the op I was climbing pretty normally but stayed off burly bouldering, roof cracks, all that stuff. I had a bit of pain from mine and couldn't eat yeasty bread for a couple of months (flat breads fine however).

The op is totally okay, felt pretty sore afterwards and beat up for about a week after - you'll definitely want to take some time off work. My surgeon said six weeks before strenuous exercise, and even then to begin again slowly, but reckoned after a few weeks gentle running would be fine. I actually don't want to climb at all right now and see no point in pushing it in the slightest.

It'd be interesting to hear from the people who've had the op already, do you guys still manage to do core exercises, hanging leg raises, that sort of thing, without any consequences?
 summo 19 Sep 2017
In reply to seankenny:

> It'd be interesting to hear from the people who've had the op already, do you guys still manage to do core exercises, hanging leg raises, that sort of thing, without any consequences?

All fine if you give it time and build up slowly. Don't want to tear anything. It's 6-7 years since mine and I've done a fair bit of hard work & sport, with no signs of a reoccurence or pain there.
OP john_mx 20 Sep 2017
In reply to john_mx:

I don't know what i was thinking it would be like after my op, I have images of like dropping 3 grads and being out of climbing for months ahah, I am missing it all ready and just would like to get back to it

My op is 19th of October and just hope ill be okay for the Scottish ski/climb season...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...