UKC

Best shoes for a day at the crag...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yoshi.h 19 Sep 2017
What are the best shoes (or type of shoes) for an approach to a crag and generally spending a day at the crag in the UK (mud and all). Hiking shoes, approach shoes, regular trainers? Reasons?
 summo 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

You missed out wellies, often perfect for campsites, farm yard approaches, fields with heavy dew etc.. no laces so quick and easy.
 JLS 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

Crocs

summo 19 Sep 2017
In reply to JLS:

> Crocs

I often use those kind of all terrain sandals (no socks) for sea cliffs, wet approaches in summer.
In reply to yh001:

Don't over think this - if it's raining, don't go to the crag. Anywhere else, trainers with some grip will do. Fell running shoes which are light and grippy in the wet are a favourite of mine. You really don't need to spend too much time thinking about this. Idon't own hiking boots or approach shoes and have climbed everywhere this year from Stanage to Beinn Eighe, all done in trainers.
OP yoshi.h 19 Sep 2017
In reply to JLS:

I somehow never thought of that. I'd take that over wellies just for ease of getting on/off...though probably quite cold most of the year...
OP yoshi.h 19 Sep 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Yeah, I'm usually just in trainers or hiking boots for really muddy approaches...was just looking for a do it all shoe really. My main gripe was the getting the feet wet, and slipping down steep approaches, getting shoes on and off easily between climbs - stuff like that.
 SDM 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

>> Crocs

> I somehow never thought of that. I'd take that over wellies just for ease of getting on/off...though probably quite cold most of the year...

Fleece-lined crocs
OP yoshi.h 19 Sep 2017
In reply to SDM:

Didn't know these existed. Crocs have come far...
 Cake 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

Some kind of trainers. I've decided I prefer non-waterproof trainers because they are lighter if you want to carry them up a route for a descent and generally more comfortable unless there is a proper bog to trudge through. Mine are some £30 decathlon ones. When I've got to the crag, I leave my socks off all day. Altogether I reckon this might save 5 mins in a day - valuable climbing time
 The Ivanator 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

Thigh high lace up patent leather boots with a 6 inch stiletto heel.
 Michael Hood 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

Another advantage of Crocs is that if you get the sizing right, you can slip them over your comfy all day rock shoes for wandering about the base of the crag.

Rubbish on wet grass or rock, great for crossing marshy ground and streams.
 WildCamper 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

I rate my Inov8 fell running shoes, they are waterproof (i find that a lot of approaches in the Lakes involve going near water even in summer), weigh less than my various pairs of approach shoes and stick like sh*t to a blanket on anything but blank wet rock. They were also cheaper than most pairs of approach shoes as they are often available at a discount if you search online.

The only drawbacks are no loops to clip them to your harness but that can be overcome with tying the laces together and they are downright treacherous on wet blank rock.

mrphilipoldham 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

I bought some Adidas Terrex Swift Solos for £50.. with the Stealth rubber they're probably the best outdoor shoe I've ever bought. Climbed HVS on grit in them too. Only thing is they're quite big for the size so I'd get an 8 or 8.5 rather than 9 next time.
 HeMa 19 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

Depends.

Sanuks, crocs, flip flops or sneakers (fjellrunnin', approach or hiking).

If reasonably dry, but not too warm or dusty. Sanuks.

Not too warm and wet. Crocs.

Warm and not dusty. Flip flips.

Crap yet need to go and have just flown in with minimal luggage. Sneakers.

Generally try to use the Sanuks as they are more comfy than crocs, but not that great when wet.
 BrendanO 20 Sep 2017
In reply to yh001:

There are some gorgeous approach shoes for sale...but do you need them?

I use a selection of...

Hi Tec Magnums - light, comfy, not waterproof. Decent grip

German Army paratroop boots (Mk 4, getting harder to find in nice nick) - super grip in all weather, high tops, and waterproof. Weigh a tonne.

DM Shack - looks like waterproof Magnum (but pricy at £110). Kight, waterproof, supercomfy, and amazing grip wet or dry.

....all of these are what I have around, and all suitable for daily transport (I ride a motorbike).

As others have said, there are cheap solutions, and approach shoes aren't necessary, though a lovely upgrade if you have the cash. But ask yourself, is there other stuff you need more than approach shoes?

(I would rather have Jetboil/flask, better rucksac, petrol money, plenty of extra slings and screwgates for trad, a couple of tiny cams...BEFORE I coughed up for approach shoes).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...