UKC

Mallorca advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DundeeDave 19 Sep 2017
Hi all,

Just after some advice. Thinking about heading to Mallorca for a week this autumn for a change.

Hoping to go climbing and cycling (road and mtb).

Any tips on where to head? (Not got any guidebooks yet so just trying to add to what I can find on the web)

Climbing: single pitch up to 30m mostly grade 5, the odd 6a/6a+ possibly and maybe a smattering of 4's as partner is not such a confident leader.

Cycling: we like both road and easy (more cross-country than downhill) mtb. We'd be looking to hire bikes on a day by day basis when out there if possible.

We'd probably be hiring a car there if this helps for getting around.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/tips/advice

David
Rigid Raider 19 Sep 2017
In reply to DundeeDave:
Just been there and done that.

Car hire: we are extremely unhappy at the way Budget sneaked in a stack of extras, inflating the week's car hire from a quoted €295 to an actual €750 approx. They did this by getting me to circle and sign all the extras on the contract, knowing I was tired, hot, anxious to get going and unlikely to question them. One that I certainly wouldn't have agreed if it had been explained was "TRP Counter Product" which, apparently, is a service where they agree to give you advice on planning your holiday. I would not have accepted that as I speak Spanish having lived and worked there and don't need help organising my holiday. Traveljigsaw Manchester, owners of the Rentalcars website, refused to reimburse me so I've written to the UK European Consumer Centre. Fingers crossed for a small moral if not pecuniary victory.

Accommodation: we stayed at two Agroturismo hotels, Finca Cas Sant in Soller being the best by a long chalk: http://www.cas-sant.com/ I don't have enough superlatives to describe this lovely place adequately.

Bike hire: about 10 minutes stroll from this hotel in Soller is Tramuntana Tours, where we hired a couple of Trek Emonda SL6 Pros, very nice light fast bikes, great climbers and descenders: http://www.tramuntanatours.com/ they also have a shop down the road in Port Soller, which is a nice quiet little resort and not full of package tourists.

They also offer mountain biking, walking and kayaking. My impression was that the mountain biking was a bit limited. The roads are superb though, try taking the boat around to Sa Calobra and riding back or the ride out to Cap Formentor, short but deceptively tiring.

Oh, wear swimming shoes if walking around on the rocks by the beaches; I'm still picking tiny bits of sea urchin spine out of my foot!
Post edited at 14:41
In reply to DundeeDave:

I was very happy with Terry's Car Hire on my visit - collected & returned car at the airport without meeting a soul, very cheap & no extra charges.
Cala Magraner has plenty of climbing of the type you are seeking, & a nice beach/swimming too
 The Ivanator 19 Sep 2017
In reply to DundeeDave:

For climbing at the grades you are after visit the beachside Cala Magraner on the East Coast as suggested above, S'estret and La Creveta are also worthwhile. The drive through the mountains from Soller to Pollenca and beyond for La Creveta is spectacular with some beautiful Lakes, as a destination La Creveta has a handful of really good long single pitch routes in modest grades.
S'estret probably has the highest concentration of good single pitch routes in the F4 - F6a range of any crag on the island, be aware that the Mallorcan grades are typically pretty stiff.
The best route we did on Mallorca (that really made our trip) was La ley del deseo (6a) - this is a multi-pitch adventure, but if you are tempted you won't regret it.
The Rockfax guide is well worth investing in.
OP DundeeDave 19 Sep 2017
In reply to DundeeDave:

Thanks for all the advice people, really much appreciated.
David
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Car hire: we are extremely unhappy at the way Budget sneaked in a stack of extras, inflating the week's car hire from a quoted €295 to an actual €750 approx.

You what? Bloody hell, we paid about £150 for 10 days in march a few years ago, for a small car. Will have to be careful next time I hire abroad.

I hope you get some recompense.

Mike-W-99 19 Sep 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

La ley del deseo (6a) is indeed a good route but don't go for the lazy start like us and get stuck behind another team (who then abbed back over us)

Caval Bernat Ridge (3S) is a nice scramble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...