UKC

Shana Tovah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Highbury 20 Sep 2017
Wishing you a very happy, healthy and peaceful 5778.

Happy new year.

Mike
xxx
 Michael Hood 20 Sep 2017
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Thanks, same to you.

I really must try and do some climbing next time I come over, especially as my brother is only a few mins away from Dalton.
 French Erick 20 Sep 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

Not being Jewish and utterly ignorant about anything Jewish I am trying to do the Maths.
So in the Jewish faith (if the little I understand is true) the Messiah has never yet come. This means that the calendar doesn't start at 0 AD for JC's birth. The Torah has the old testament in common with the Christian faith.
So 5778- 2017=3761.
When does the Jewish faith start? Is it year dot for them, as in God created the Earth? That makes the History of Jewishness 5778 years old and along the way Christian split 2017 years ago?
Despite being admittedly atheist (loosely brought up Catholic), I am not having a go at anything, just curious to place events and faiths in chronological order. I hope I am not being callous in how I put it. If I am, it is unintended and will you accept my apologies.
BTW, have a good one! Is there a big celebration? Hope you and yours have a great family time.
 Michael Hood 24 Sep 2017
In reply to French Erick: Some rough info about Jewish dating. 5778 is from creation, if I remember correctly it's from after the sixth day of creation. There's a range of opinion about what the first 6 days mean, with the most fundamentalist opinions being 6 24 hour days although it should be remembered that the sun and moon were only created on day three.

Judaism starts with Abraham, I can't remember when but it would be somewhere between 1500-2000.

Jews becoming a nation is with the exodus from Egypt and the giving of the Torah at Sinai about 3300 years ago.

We are still waiting for the Messiah.

New year is a celebration (always eat too much but that's the same with all Jewish festivals) but we also think about how we can improve ourselves in the coming year both in our relationships with others and with God.
 nufkin 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Judaism starts with Abraham, I can't remember when but it would be somewhere between 1500-2000...We are still waiting for the Messiah.

Anything over an hour and I tend to give up on people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...