UKC

Tipping delivery guy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 21 Sep 2017
Expecting a Sainsburys delivery this evening. Is it expected that you tip them? Like you would do with take out delivery.

First time so no idea.
 graeme jackson 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

no
 plyometrics 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I tried tipping our supermarket delivery guy at Christmas. He declined saying they weren't allowed to accept tips.

I think being pleasant and grateful instead is probably more worthwhile, as I suspect it's a thankless task for many of them.
 Neil Williams 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Never have, no. I don't tip takeout delivery either; I pay online and don't tend to have cash knocking around to do it!
 Neil Williams 21 Sep 2017
In reply to plyometrics:
> I think being pleasant and grateful instead is probably more worthwhile, as I suspect it's a thankless task for many of them.

I find they appreciate me taking the crates and tipping them out onto the worksurface/floor as quickly as possible to sort once they have gone rather than spending half an hour loading cupboards.

Also don't get cross with them for bad substitutes, as they won't have picked them. Just give them back for a refund.
Post edited at 09:37
Deadeye 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

My daughter did a gap year job delivering for Ocado and was allowed tips (and loved them) even just a quid or two

Ava Adore 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I tip if I'm given particularly good service. If he/she is just doing their job, I wouldn't
 Rog Wilko 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

This is a really difficult issue. Giving tips only helps employers get away with crap wages, but in the meantime people on those wages have to struggle on when you, or I at least, wouldn't notice a small gratuity. If I can afford the odd night or two in a hotel I feel really mean if I fail to leave a tip, which I can clearly afford by being there, for the room cleaner. Hope this doesn't sound too boasty.
Removed User 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
No I don't believe it should be customary to tip. As you say it encourages employers to pay poor wages. It also stresses those who can't afford to give a tip.

The only tip I'd give them is to join a union and get organized.

There won't be another GE until 2022 so if people on crap wages and/or zero hours contracts want a better deal they're going to have to fight for it and to do that properly they have to organize.
Post edited at 16:42
 Rog Wilko 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Removed User:

I can't disagree.
 yorkshire_lad2 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

I think if this thread was posted on a forum over t' pond, the responses would be very different.
Other there, tipping is more than obligatory, it's inbred.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...