UKC

Recommend me a shell jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 22 Sep 2017
My trusty Montane mountain shell has now become the gardening jacket and I'm in the market for a replacement. Problem is prices of decent shell jackets appears to have shot up in the few years since I purchased it. I'm looking to spend £150-£200 tops on its replacement.

Looking for:

- good hood
- articulated sleeves
- not too short (not a fan of water beading beautifully and then being dumped on my crotch)
- ideally not too "wrinkly crinkly crisp-packety" fabric
- doesn't have to pack to *insert citrus fruit here* size, but being generally packable would be good
- not fussed on material as long as it works in a downpour

Any ideas?
 Mal Grey 22 Sep 2017
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I've yet to see one of the waterproofs in the flesh, but Alpkit's clothing has come on in strides and I now own several other layering items. Now they have shops in Ambleside and Hathersage, I hope to get a look at one soon, as what I think of as my "New Gore-Tex" is now 14 years old...

https://www.alpkit.com/products/balance-mens

Next model up, the Definition, is also on the possibles list, but as that looks a bit shorter the Balance might suit you better.
OP MonkeyPuzzle 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:

Great shout, I'd totally forgotten about Alpkit.
 Robbie Blease 22 Sep 2017
I think the main thing is to try it on before you buy.

I have an ME janak which had a great spec; gtx pro 80 denier, over helmet hood, retail price of £315. But actually, its the worst jacket I've had yet. Hood is not great, sleeves are too short, body too baggy etc. It might be a good jacket for someone else, it just doesn't work for me.

If I were to buy a new shell, I would go for Rab. I know they haven't got the greatest reviews sometimes, but the fit and the hood are awesome!

Fit is key!!!
Post edited at 12:51
OP MonkeyPuzzle 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Robbie Blease:

Agreed. Montane fit me really well, but they're a bit shorter in the body than I'd like and are *very* minimal down the end of their range I can actually afford. Had a Featherlite Jacket delivered from Nevisport already, but it's a bit short in the body and very crinkly wrinkly, reminiscent of the crisp packet cagoules we used to get as kids.
removed user 22 Sep 2017

My advice is avoid Goretex. It simply doesn't keep water out in my experience. For my money Polartec Neoshell is a much better material, and often cheaper. Rab uses it, Montane, Jottnar, Westcomb.
 BnB 22 Sep 2017
In reply to removed user:

+1 but in my experience because Neoshell doesn't keep moisture in. Gotetex is too boil in a bag even if the windproofing is superior.
 Kirill 22 Sep 2017

Have a look at this:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-men-grey-green-id_8384853.html

Ticks all the boxes, and well under your budget. It is sized a bit small, so get one up from your Montane size.
 HammondR 22 Sep 2017
Marmot Essence, £85 on SportPursuit https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/816278 though it might be on the short side for you.
 JayPee630 22 Sep 2017
In reply to HammondR:

I got one of these and it's pretty good. TBH I rarely go out if it's pissing it down that much nowadays though, it's more of an emergency shell.
 Mal Grey 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Robbie Blease:
> I think the main thing is to try it on before you buy.

Totally agree (which is why I have so far just about managed to resist clicking "buy" on the Alpkit stuff). Hopefully I'll get to try one on on the next month or so. I had some early Alpkit down jackets, which were a bit "boxy", but the baselayers and synthetic jacket I've got now fit superbly (Medium, which is what i am at 38" chest, 32 waist, average height). I'm hoping the shells are the same basic block.

I've a Rab lightweight waterproof, which is only a year or so old (though time may have passed faster than I think, it normally does), and I still can't decide if its good or rubbish. Somedays I think it breathes very well, other days I find myself complete wet underneath. The pockets also fill with water. They're waterproof enough, the water never escapes, but the zips aren't.
Post edited at 20:04
 Stew1803 29 Sep 2017

I have a Patagonia Torrentshell. I think its perfect for me, lightweight, so far very water proof, breathes very well, and is a good price. feels well made too. plenty colours to choose from also.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...