UKC

Brain Trauma

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tez29 22 Sep 2017

Hello people,
Just a quick post really. Has anyone had a brain trauma whilst climbing. The reason I ask is about18 months ago I suffered a serious trauma after falling from a climb in France. I was helicopter rescued and had various breakages but most importantly suffered a brain trauma. My wife and family looked after me and physically I made a good recovery. I decided I wouldn't climb again after all the stress it caused my family. Has anyone suffered a similar injury? Ok thank you.
Post edited at 14:48
 French Erick 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:
Jeezo...sounds horrendous.
No-one I know suffered anything similar.

I have to question your reasoning for dropping out. I would much prefer a statement along the lines of: I do not want to climb again period.
Having said that, this is a personal opinion and I am a well-known selfish bastard.
I did suffer a serious back injury in my early 20s but I was never going to stop what I wanted to do for anyone. Easier because I was single and not a family man yet? I am thinking that, were I to have a terrible accident now, I would want to continue if my recovery allowed. I am married with to under 7 kids.

I do hope that you find something to fill in for climbing which keeps you happy and your family happy too.

Some good routes you've done too! Could you not just stick to safe sport climbing?
Post edited at 15:02
In reply to Tez29:
Luckily I don't know anyone who has had such a dramatic injury.

However I did go through a spell in my 40's when due to other circumstances I climbed very little for 5 or 6 years.

During this time I got obsessed with windsurfing, since them I moved to pembrokeshire and got very keen on climbing again, but that period made me realise that if I couldn't climb for some reason there are lots of other pursuits I could undertake that I would get nearly as much satisfaction from.

I hope you find something that gives you the challenge/pleasure that climbing gave you.
Post edited at 15:14
 Andy Nisbet 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

A number of climbers I know (including myself) have had "intensive care" head injuries, both climbing and on the roads. Obviously the ones I know have continued climbing but I'm sure others have given up. It never occurred to me to stop (unless I was physically unable when I would have had no choice). After about 4 months I was able to second a short V.Diff and only fall off once, so it sounds like you can if you wish. But that's your choice.
 john arran 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

An understanding family will recognise if climbing is really important to you, but equally you will no doubt recognise their concern. I'm sure that a fair solution can be found to keep you sane and healthy that doesn't involve too much worry on their part. Whether climbing can fit into that, only you and your family can decide. Good luck, whichever way you go.
 webbo 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

> Hello people,

> Just a quick post really. Has anyone had a brain trauma whilst climbing. The reason I ask is about18 months ago I suffered a serious trauma after falling from a climb in France. I was helicopter rescued and had various breakages but most importantly suffered a brain trauma. My wife and family looked after me and physically I made a good recovery. I decided I wouldn't climb again after all the stress it caused my family. Has anyone suffered a similar injury? Ok thank you.

I wonder why you have bothered posting if you are not going to climb again. I would have thought the think to do would be complete cold turkey and cut all contacts with climbing.
 Toerag 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

I've a similar situation - I have a fast boat that bangs around somewhat when it's rough, and over the past year or so I've noticed I get bad headaches the day after a lumpy trip - I'm pretty sure it's a form of concussion. I am concerned that one day I'll suffer some kind of brain hemorrhage and I'm not able to enjoy myself with the knowledge that it's simply not worth the risk, so I have made the decision to sell up. I have a young daughter and another on the way and I care about them more than fishing. I will still go out on boats belonging to friends in calm conditions, but can't justify owning a boat just for calm days.
 Toerag 22 Sep 2017
In reply to webbo:

> I wonder why you have bothered posting if you are not going to climb again. I would have thought the think to do would be complete cold turkey and cut all contacts with climbing.

You only have to go cold turkey if you'd be tempted to climb and get frustrated that you can't - if, like me, you've accepted that it's not going to happen, then there's no harm in maintaining an interest until such a time as it dies naturally. I've not climbed for 18 months due a shoulder injury that may never get better, but I'm still on here - climbing still interests me, and I feel I can contribute to threads for the benefit of others.
OP Tez29 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

I should say I probably will eventually boulder just not climb. Unfortunately I was sport climbing and when I got to the chain the piece of rock I was holding came away and I fell about 10m hitting rock and chewing through my tongue. Luckily I had a phone in my rucksack who my belayer saw me ring my wife. He had an accident previously so knew the number to ring. None of my family said I can't climb I just thought when I was in a medically induced coma with a trackioptomi and they had to clean me after I'd been to the toilet I thought 'best avoid that' at 33. We don't unfortunately have children yet though came close and still trying.
 Wft 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

Hey Tezza,

Long time no see, I've got a friend who is in the process of recovery from a severe knock on the head (has a titanium plate now) that I can put you in touch with. He wrote an article on here a few months ago you may have read - https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=9367

In terms of climbing it's up to you I'd say, you can top rope with a helmet and be near enough to complete safety.

Will be over to your way in February, looking forward to catching up.

All the best big man,

Guy Van Greuning

rogerwebb 23 Sep 2017
In reply to French Erick:

> Jeezo...sounds horrendous.

> No-one I know suffered anything similar.

Well I kept that well concealed!

rogerwebb 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

Harder to deal with these things the older you are.
If you do want to return to the sport don't measure yourself against pre accident you.
And at least start with 'if in doubt chicken out'
The doubts will probably get less and if not then there's plenty else to do.

profitofdoom 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

> I decided I wouldn't climb again after all the stress it caused my family. Has anyone suffered a similar injury? Ok thank you.

I suffered serious injuries in a long fall on rock could have died easily. After recovering I almost gave up climbing and it changed my approach to climbing in various ways. I was single at the time but kept thinking about the grief my death would have caused my parents. I believe if I had been married with children I would have given up

Just my story because you asked it is not really relevant to others
 Wil Treasure 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:

I suffered a serious head injury a few years ago. I wasn't in a coma, but required surgery to piece me back together. I didn't suffer serious brain trauma, but pretty serious concussion and had problems with concentration for the next 6 months or so.

Feel free to drop me an email.
 Trangia 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Tez29:
I am sorry to hear that, but glad that you are OK now

Yes, in the early 1980s my then climbing partner suffered a very serious brain injury resulting from a 15m fall whilst descending the "easy way" down from a crag unroped. He was in hospital for a week in a coma before his parents had to make the agonising decision to switch off his life support.

It was quite simply a ghastly time for his family and friends.
Post edited at 15:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...