UKC

Loss of Appetite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 Sep 2017
Very often, when I'm on a trek or a biggish walk I find that I seem to have little appetite. On my recent trip to the Alps(staying in refuges) I found I was unable to eat very much at breakfast or in the evening. I also found I was eating little more than a bit of dried fruit(dates), a bit of chocolate and about three or four boiled sweets. I did drink water however.

I sometimes get the feeling that the loss of appetite is caused by apprehension, thinking about where I am having to go during the day, will I encounter any problems, will the weather hold?

Does anyone else have similar experiences?
Lusk 23 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

When I go on my big walks, I generally pack a few sandwiches and 4 litres of water and orange juice.
Then when I'm in the pub afterwards, there's usually considerably more food than fluid left, then's the beer.
I usually try and eat a shed load the evening before.
llechwedd 23 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I've has similar experience and I draw this parallel:
If I get engrossed in some serious DIY, I feel no desire to stop and eat at I time I would normally. Nothing significant happens as a result of this, other than I may get a bit grumpy later on.
On a walk of several months, the same sort of thing happened- off on my adventure, and it took time to get into the routine. I 'forgot' to eat. On a practical level, as the trip progressed, I became increasingly aware that if I didn't refuel adequately, the trip would come to a premature end. So the routine developed. I made time to eat, and worked to get enough in.
As regards liquids, the reminder to drink enough comes much earlier

On a walk of a few days, or a week, most people can undereat and get by on the body's reserves.
 Mal Grey 23 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Apprehension can certainly affect appetite, I get this when white water canoeing and attempting a decent brekkie. Otherwise known as being a bit scared...fry ups seem to be no problem though! (but may not be the best prep...)

I also eat little during a hill day sometimes due to lack of appetite, but this is not apprehension, it feels like something to do with not wanting to eat much during physical exercise. However, I can normally eat masses that evening, hence fuelling myself for the next day.

Would altitude be a factor?

Fortunately, I appear to be able to eat enormous quantities of flapjack, which gets me through most physical exercise!
OP mypyrex 23 Sep 2017
In reply to llechwedd:

>

> On a walk of a few days, or a week, most people can undereat and get by on the body's reserves.

Probably what was happening in my case.

OP mypyrex 23 Sep 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:
> Would altitude be a factor?
I think that was the case when I was in the Himalaya. Normally I wouldn't touch(cooked) porridge with a barge pole but I found in Nepal it was one of the few things I could eat.

> Fortunately, I appear to be able to eat enormous quantities of flapjack, which gets me through most physical exercise!
I can happily eat flapjack but don't always think to take it on big walks.
Post edited at 21:09
 Big Ger 24 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Funnily enough, I've taken to not eating breakfast before a long day out. I seem to go better for it.

Never been one for eating on the walk, but binge eating afterwards.
 Stichtplate 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Funnily enough, I've taken to not eating breakfast before a long day out. I seem to go better for it.

> Never been one for eating on the walk, but binge eating afterwards.

Against both common sense and received wisdom, but I'm the same.
womblingfree 24 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I snack little and often when out. I've even put a little weight on doing long distance things, especially when staying in b&b's where it seems rude not to have toast, cereal and a full fry up for breakfast, day after day ????

I think it's the altitude though, when I've been above 2000m I've noticed significantly less food makes me feel just as full
 marsbar 24 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
I think you are right about apprehension and appetite.

However I have learnt for big days to ignore my lack of appetite, take a food as fuel approach and force myself to eat a good breakfast whether I want it or not.

I'm one of those people that needs to eat well if exercising and don't seem able to concentrate or exert myself if I run out of energy. It's not sensible for me to ignore this and unfair on other people so I see it as much a part of preparation for the day as packing my kit.

This helps with the apprehensive feelings as it makes me feel like I'm prepared.

I also think that there are ways of partitioning feelings and thinking time that you might find useful. Making breakfast a task more than a meal, and not thinking about the day ahead while doing that task may help. I sort of schedule my mornings so I eat first and don't look at the weather or the plan for the day until after breakfast. After breakfast I plan and pack for the day and dress for the conditions, I need the information to decide what to take and wear. I don't need the information while I'm eating so I don't worry about it until after breakfast.
Post edited at 10:11
OP mypyrex 24 Sep 2017
In reply to all:
Thanks for some very interesting and informative replies. At least I'm not alone in noticing or experiencing this.

My neighbour's lad is studying Sports Nutrition at university so next time I see him I might see what he's got to say about it.

Deviant 24 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Could it have something to do with your shrink-wrapped sack ?
OP mypyrex 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Deviant:

> Could it have something to do with your shrink-wrapped sack ?

No, I think it was more likely to be the anticipation of eventually bumping into Mrs. Num Num on the Montenvers railway.
 olddirtydoggy 24 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Altitude over about 2000m for me seems to be a factor.
 Brass Nipples 24 Sep 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Sounds like you are getting low on electrolytes. Are you getting in enough salts during the day and in the evening before you sleep?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...