UKC

Steve Paget RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Fraser 24 Sep 2017
These reports
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/man-dragged-water-cromarty-...
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1327260/local-sailor-di...
http://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/News/Man-dies-following-Cromarty-Firth-d...
did not read like a winter climbing story, but then I had a phone call from Alan Mullin's step-daughter Shirley to tell me it was Steve Paget who had died in the Cromarty Firth.

I know of Steve from his having partnered Alan Mullin on several of his most outstanding routes. No doubt some of you will know of Steve's winter climbing in much greater detail than me.

His funeral is at Inverness Crematorium at 1300h, Friday 29th September. Later, a funeral tea will be held at a neighbour's house in Newmore. (I'd be grateful if someone could corroborate the timing since I have not been able to find a notice.)
 Jonny 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I didn't know Steve, but I had a close friend of mine die in similar fashion, also in Scotland. Rather a shocking way to lose someone.

I wish his friends and family all the best.
 TobyA 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> I know of Steve from his having partnered Alan Mullin on several of his most outstanding routes. No doubt some of you will know of Steve's winter climbing in much greater detail than me.

Very sad. I also remember his name from that period when he and Alan kind of burst onto the scene with a string of very very hard first ascents. They seemed like a ferociously talented and strong team, particularly because I got the impression both were newish to climbing back then. Best wishes to his friends and family.
Post edited at 08:22
 rogerwebb 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Thanks I hadn't made the connection either.
A man I had a great deal of respect for, not only for his climbing but his commitment to his beliefs and principles and acceptance of those who didn't share them.
In reply to Jim Fraser:
This is really awful to hear.

I had the privelege of climbing once with this quiet and strong, gentle funny man.

Fluted Buttress Direct in 2002 in perfect spring nick, lying in the warm sun at the top of the crag afterwards, chatting about everything and nothing.

What a man he was.

So sad.
Post edited at 18:28
ShirleyMaddocks(Mullin) 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:
Directions to the tea after the crematorium:
Turn left off the A9 at the Tomich cafe (heading north). Go past the old pumphouse, and past one field, both on the left. You will then see a small row of cottages. Turn left down the tarmaced track that goes past the back of the cottages. At the end of the track is Kyalami. There will be tea and home baking, and a warm welcome from the amazing Richmonds. We will be very glad to see people there, whether you are able to come to the crematorium first or not.
Post edited at 22:25
Hilary Peters 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I'm Steve's wife, and would like to thank you all for your kind wishes and comments. Steve had been a lifelong climber, but when arthritis set in, he switched to sailing in 2009. He was as dedicated to that as he had been to climbing.
Always a very independent soul, he often went out climbing and boating alone. He missed Alan very much, they were more than climbing partners, and I think he also lost a bit of his enthusiasm for climbing after Alan was gone.
Everyone is very welcome to attend the crematorium at 1 pm on friday 29th sept, and/or come for tea at around 2.30 at the address posted above by Shirley.
Regards, Hilary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...