/ ALDI cycling thurs 28th sept

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
elsewhere on 24 Sep 2017
https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2017-09-28

£12.99 COB lights last year were superb for being seen BUT keep the receipt as one of mine packed up after 6 months.
felt - on 24 Sep 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

Aldi. Where 'Large' men have 1-foot-long arms. That said, I'll get the Muc-Off web lube and degreaser and the GT85 .
Yanis Nayu - on 24 Sep 2017
In reply to felt:

Don't try Castelli then!
Yanis Nayu - on 24 Sep 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

> £12.99 COB lights last year were superb for being seen BUT keep the receipt as one of mine packed up after 6 months.

Mine did too, and the fully-charged battery only lasted about 4 hours.
felt - on 24 Sep 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I've got one Castelli sock.
Martin W on 25 Sep 2017
Interesting that they're doing a knock-off of the Fly6 combined rear light and camera. Almost tempted...
Lord of Starkness - on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Just got one. Looks to be a solid bit of kit and has a 3 year warranty!

I'll be interested to see how it performs.

elsewhere on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Martin W:

> Interesting that they're doing a knock-off of the Fly6 combined rear light and camera. Almost tempted...

The lights I got were looked identical to the branded ones apart from the logo printed on it. It must be a licensed version (old model or downrated internals?) because it looks identically made with the same tooling rather than an approximate copy.
krikoman - on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Just got one. Looks to be a solid bit of kit and has a 3 year warranty!

> I'll be interested to see how it performs.

From Aldi?
LastBoyScout on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

> The lights I got were looked identical to the branded ones apart from the logo printed on it. It must be a licensed version (old model or downrated internals?) because it looks identically made with the same tooling rather than an approximate copy.

It isn't a licensed model. Quote from Chris Singleton on Road.cc Facebook page: "I am the Chairman of Cycliq LTD so I can assure you they are NOT producing these under license".

I bought some of the socks again, both the merino ones and the synthetic ones - they're brilliant - and some of the lube.

I did also buy some of the merino base layers and arm warmers, but returned them all due to fit/feel.
gethin_allen on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
"... I did also buy some of the merino base layers and arm warmers, but returned them all due to fit/feel."

Same here the last time they had a cycling special buy day. A while back I did buy a long sleeve merino base layer a while back and the length of the arms and torso shrunk in the wash.

Martin W on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:
> it looks identically made with the same tooling rather than an approximate copy.

The tooling didn't look the same to me, based on the photo on Aldi's web site:

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/Bikemate-Camera-And-Bike-Light-A.jpg?o=YKy2GusFsNbNQ5tGhnjvL8ELv0wj&V...

Compare with the Fly6:

https://cycliq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Cycliq-Fly6v.jpg

The Aldi item has the same general wedge shape as the Fly6, and the moulding of the lens cluster looks very similar, but overall the knock-off is much more 'boxy'.

I bought a couple of pairs of the merino blend socks. I found the size 9-11 were a bit 'neat' for my size 10 feet. They do stretch to fit easily enough, but the fabric becomes noticeably thinner as it stretches which makes me think that they might not be as cosy as they first appear. They're also just a little too short in the ankle for my liking - although I was aware of that looked at them in the shop. Bottom line: I'll hang on to them, but they probably won't completely replace my favourite, but increasingly aging M&S sport socks which for some reason just feel right for me.
Post edited at 14:11
Lord of Starkness - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to krikoman:

I've got a lot of Aldi cycling stuff - some have been better than others, but all have been good value for money. Their winter bib tights and jackets are great, as are their lightweight rain jackets.

I was very impressed by the Cree front light I bought last winter. Not stupidly bright, - but gives all the illumination I need on unlit country lanes after dark, even on the lowest brightness setting. As a driver I'm very aware how dangerously dazzling some bike lights have become - and that most cyclists do not have them angled downwards enough to prevent blinding other road users.
elsewhere on 12 Oct 2017
elsewhere on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> It isn't a licensed model. Quote from Chris Singleton on Road.cc Facebook page: "I am the Chairman of Cycliq LTD so I can assure you they are NOT producing these under license".

That's unexpected (see my post about how similsr they were) but might explain why the design is obviously different this year.

The design can be registered but I doubt the idea of cob led USB rechargeable is protected.
Post edited at 10:44
Dave B on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

Anyone tried the front/rear light set?
Martin W on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:
> That'a not the light I got

And the light you got is not the light I was talking about, which was the Fly6 knock-off as I stated in my initial post on this thread.

LastBoyScout knew what I was talking about. Sorry if you didn't, but I did make it clear.
Post edited at 13:38
wilkesley - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Martin W:

There are several threads on cyclechat.net about the "Fly 6 knockoff". Apparently video quality isn't that good (about 720p) and it might not support looped recordings i.e. Once the SD card fills up, it doesn' t delete the oldest recording to make space.
Lord of Starkness - on 16 Oct 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

Used the Aldi one for the first time yesterday and was out for around 5 hours. Seems to be no issue with battery life.
Picture quality seems pretty good ( claims 1080p)
The (supplied) 8gb Micro SD card is enough for about an hour of riding.
I dont think it automatically 'loops' -- the unit beeps when the card is full meaning you have to press the power button to set the unit to overwrite the full card - easy enough to do when your riding.
Think I'll invest in a 32 or even 64Gb Micro SD card then it will be good enough for full day rides.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.