UKC

COMPETITION: WINNER - Win a Marmot Featherless Hoody

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Marmot Featherless Competition, 3 kbTo celebrate the launch of Marmot's new AW17 Featherless collection, we're teaming up to offer one lucky UKC reader a fabulous prize of the brand new Marmot featherless hoody.

Read more
 olddirtydoggy 25 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Could this be the magic material?

If this does everything it claims surly this is going to be a game changing material. The warmth/weight of down and it functions when wet?! I wonder what price this stuff will be? *prepares to stick car on gumtree*
 MischaHY 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Somewhere around £180 so similar in price to a comparable down jacket. Near identical weight/price to the Rab Microlight Alpine.

Looks epic. Let's see if it stands the test of time. If the performance carries across multiple formats (sleeping bags, mats etc) then it could kill off down for good...
 munro90 25 Sep 2017
Isn't this the same 3M technology Rab have been marketing as Cirrus for at least two years?

> "Cirrus™ is a new, breakthrough insulation that combines almost all the key benefits of natural down and synthetic fillings, while avoiding their limitations. Technical, water resistant fibres are expanded into a “down-like” structure, to create a cloud of warmth. Cirrus™ has been extensively tested in development to deliver the same warmth for its weight as 600 Fill Power duck down. Unlike other synthetic insulation it lofts freely to trap warmth. It compresses well when packed and is robust and durable. Its resistance to moisture, warmth when wet and speed of drying are very high: superior even to Hydrophobic Down and previous man-made insulations. Powered by 3M Featherless technology."
https://support.rab.equipment/hc/en-us/articles/115004381405-Glossary
Post edited at 17:15
In reply to munro90:

I'm guessing it's a new variant (700 not 600 fill).
 simes303 26 Sep 2017

A synthetic material that's as good as decent down, and works when it's wet sounds great.
 galpinos 26 Sep 2017
In reply to simes303:

> A synthetic material that's as good as decent down, and works when it's wet sounds great.

On paper it sounds great. I'm surprised if it was that good it's only Marmot that has taken it up?
 galpinos 26 Sep 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

3M list two variants on their website, same product, different "weights".
 Pedro50 26 Sep 2017

Any stockists yet?
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Is US 700 fill power, not same as EU 600? Have never understood how these can be different, unless it's an Imperial v Metric thing?? Also, why are fill powers rising over the past 20 years, are the birds working out, changing their diet or something, can't imagine they've evolved that quickly??

Sounds to be same kind of stuff Rab (Cirrus), TNF (Thermoball), Montane, ME, etc are using. I thought the down blend Primaloft thing sounded interesting, though a few seasons old now!

Does it have a helmet compatable hood, many similar products don't, which seems to be missing the point?

Stuart
 TobyA 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

I've got one one review for UKC Martin! Nice jacket but perhaps not quite so ground breaking as the ads suggest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...