UKC

Insurance for running in Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 25 Sep 2017
I have done a couple of mountain ultras in europe and not given insurance a thought at all!!!

Having entered a race in the dolomites it talks of insurance and all of a sudden I realised I haven't a clue where I stand in europe

I have standard travel insurance and one of those european health cards but that is it

So can anyone advise what would happen if i got injured in the dolomites without insurance?

Also if I need insurance any recommendations for a one off ultra in Italy?

plyometrics 25 Sep 2017
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Can't say for sure what would happen, but suspect your insurers would argue you were up to hazardous activity not covered in a standard policy. Although calling them direct for clarity would probably be prudent.

If your standard insurance doesn't work for this, we use insureandgo and they cover 'hazardous activity', including distance running.

Would recommend.

yorkshireman 25 Sep 2017

I think competitive running on normal travel insurance is usually up to marathon distance only.

I live in France and have been running ultras here for years. It was only when I did the 80km du Mont Blanc and CCC this year, both of which pass into Switzerland and/or Italy, and the organisers made a point of saying specific insurance was needed.

In the end I went for the Pass Running from the French Althletics Association

http://www.jaimecourir.fr/Boutique/Boutique.aspx?pr=4

It's 30€ per year and seems to cover the key things I would want including training runs and races in all countries. Aside from anything else it means I can enter the smaller races here in France (I probably race at least once a month) without having to supply a medical certificate each time - just give them my FFA number.

Two caveats.

1. I don't know if they cover non-French residents (I couldn't find any English language content).
2. I've never yet had cause to use their services either for SOS or to claim, so I don't know how good they are at following through on their promises.
 Wonrek 25 Sep 2017
You can get BMC insurance at really reasonable cost. I got cover for this years TDS at about £18, a lot cheaper than being hit with a £3K+ bill for a helicopter rescue from the mountains. If you're not already a BMC member it is probably worth joining first to get the best price......that and a 10% discount in many outdoors shops the membership pays for itself!
Post edited at 14:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...