UKC

Pfalz guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Violinist 26 Sep 2017
Hi all,

I'm off to Pfalz in a couple of weeks and trying to track down the guidebook. Have been writing emails in German all day! :-0

It seems the guidebook is out of print and not out until next spring. So, does anyone have a copy of the old one they're willing to photograph a few pages of/lend/sell? If not, anyone have advice as where to find topos and route descriptions? Probably centred on Annweiler where we're staying but hoping to explore Dahn etc too.

Thanks in advance!
 AlanLittle 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Violinist:

On the Panico website is says you might still be able to get them direct from the author.

http://www.panico.de/buecher/kletterfuehrer-sportklettern/kletterfuehrer-pf...

No idea how up to date that information is - I'm currently eagerly awaiting the new Frankenjura South from them, having left the old one on a train, and the delivery date is being put back about two weeks per week
OP Violinist 26 Sep 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks for your reply. I'm no good with German, thank goodness for google translate! I've just used the contact form on pánico website - we'll see if anything comes of it! In the meantime slightly panicking I've got the perfect holiday booked with no guidebook! Eek!
OP Violinist 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Thanks Ian. I've emailed the rent guy and registered to get access to the website, but can't really make heads or tails of it yet. And no reply from the rent guy yet, fingers crossed! Thanks.
 Fiend 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Violinist:
BBhof is the epicentre of the area, they should be able to help. If you really struggle then msg me (fiendophobia[at]googlemail[dot]com as my yahoo is playing silly buggers) and I will lend you my guide.....simply because the area is so cool and it's nice to hear of other UK people going
Post edited at 11:38
 Niall Grimes 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Fiend:

I have one called Kletterfuhrer Sachsische Schweiz Band Schrammsteine Schmilkaer Gebeit I could lend you.

It's the hardest guidebook I've ever come across.
 AlanLittle 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Niall Grimes:

Quite a long way from the Pfalz though
OP Violinist 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Fiend:
Thanks Fiend, have emailed you.

Niall - I've not come across that book in my research - does it cover the Pfalz region?
cb294 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Violinist:

No that is a regional guide for bits of Elbe Sandstone actually facing the Elbe river.

600km from Pfalz,

CB
 Niall Grimes 27 Sep 2017
In reply to cb294:

Ah yes, got confused. Don't seem to have my Pfalz guide any more, sorry.
 jimtitt 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Fiend:

> BBhof is the epicentre of the area, they should be able to help. If you really struggle then msg me (fiendophobia[at]googlemail[dot]com as my yahoo is playing silly buggers) and I will lend you my guide.....simply because the area is so cool and it's nice to hear of other UK people going

The area is on the cards for some major changes for the better ( I suppled a whole lot of custom top anchors for there recently amongst the usual bolts) as the government there has reassed the use of the national park and climbing is now a legitimate leisure use so more cliffs will become available.
It´ s still a damp, gloomy place in a relatively crap part of Germany with terrible beer and some challenging protection on the "bolted" routes though!!!
OP Violinist 27 Sep 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

It's all relative though! Scotland in October is a bit hit and miss...
 StefanB 27 Sep 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

> It´ s still a damp, gloomy place in a relatively crap part of Germany with terrible beer and some challenging protection on the "bolted" routes though!!!

That's because it's not meant to be a sport climbing venue (despite the bolts) in a wine producing area.

Wouldn't call it crap part of Germany though, but I was born there
In reply to jimtitt:

> It´ s still a damp, gloomy place in a relatively crap part of Germany with terrible beer and some challenging protection on the "bolted" routes though!!!

I thought it was ace. Cool climbing, especially if massive E0 corner cracks are your thing, funky crags, free standing pinnacles, a wide variety of crags in a small area, and the beer didn't seem too bad at all, it is still Germany after all. You're right about the bolting though, a little interesting in places.
cb294 28 Sep 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

If you go to Pfalz for beer you are doing something wrong.

Spend a little over the cheapish local average, and the wine and food will be excellent!

CB
 francois 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Violinist:

I saw a copy at the local climbing wall near Darmstadt. If you're really desperate, I could buy it and send it over.

Francois
OP Violinist 28 Sep 2017
In reply to francois:

Thanks Francois, I think I might have acquired one - thanks for the offer though, will be in touch if need be!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...