UKC

Hill snacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 26 Sep 2017
What do you pack to graze on when out and about? I recently discovered Exotic Coconut Mix from Aldi, 29p for a 25g sachet (normally found by the tills). Contains sugary papaya, coconut and mango chunks. It tastes great, is light, cheap and full of calories! What do you pack?
Removed User 26 Sep 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

I'll look that mix up, sounds good.

In summer its oat cakes and cheese. In winter with the short days and little opportunity to stop for very long I stuff my pockets with chocolate and cereal bars. All washed down with clear mountain water.
 Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2017

Oat cakes. Babybel. Vegetarian pate. Vegetarian salami.
Raisins/peanuts/M&Ms. Nakd bars.

Basically stuff that doesn't go off quickly or melt.
 OwenM 26 Sep 2017

Flapjacks.
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger and andyjohnson0:

By oatcakes do you mean like staffordshire oatcakes?

I love these but haven't considered taking them out on the hill before (I usually nuke them in the microwave with cheese)
 Andrew Wilson 26 Sep 2017

Lidl do bags of dried mixed fruit which are really good, a mixture. Of apricots, prunes, figs and apple pieces. The fruit is still quite soft.
They also do mixed nuts in a similar sized bag, so I often split them 50/50 and take a mixture out.
The fruit is also great with Scottish oatcakes and cheese.
Kabanos sausage also good.

9 bar seed/carob bars when they are on offer.

Salted peanuts for the savoury craving later.

Andy

Removed User 26 Sep 2017

Home made flapjack - oat, raisin, cherry bits, honey, blah blah blah and / or
Tunnocks Caramel wafer bars.

I've made up grazing bags containing mixed nuts, mixed dried fruit, midget gems, M&M-alikes, all from Lidl's finest...

Oatcakes and chewy bars are also taken.

I used to love Lidl's all-butter traybake flapjack, but they stopped doing it some years ago, replacing it with 'bites' that were more expensive and inferior quality.
 Toerag 26 Sep 2017

'fruchtschnittel' or 'fruchtriegel' from Germany - pulped fruit bars. Hard sausage such as kabanos or peperami. You find the Kabanos in Polish sections in shops. I'm not really one for snacking as I walk though, I prefer to stop and eat a sarnie.
 bouldery bits 26 Sep 2017
I always end up craving hula hoops.

Always pack a homemade trail mix. No specific recipe. Whatever is in the house but must have nuts and dried cranberries.

I love a cold slice of pizza on the hill. Rocket fuel.
Post edited at 23:23
 nathan79 26 Sep 2017

Peanuts, cashew nuts, jelly babies and home-made flapjacks.
 Andy Johnson 26 Sep 2017
No, I mean Scottish oatcakes. Nairns (as sold in Tesco etc.) are ok but Stockan's (hard to get in England) are best in my experience. Being dry and relatively dense I find they make it through their short, tragic life in my rucksack in much better shape.

I'm definitely partial to Staffordshire oatcakes, but I've never carried them on the hill. In the past I've found that chapattis worked pretty well as hill-food though, so I might give them a try on my next trip.
Post edited at 23:45
 ian caton 27 Sep 2017

Sandwiches made of Scottish oatcakes with peanut butter in.
 Scott K 27 Sep 2017

I've been making my own trail mix with Acti Snack from Costco which has nuts, dried fruit and seeds. To this I add some dark chocolate chips or M & S chocolate peanuts (or M & Ms). I also like oatcakes and cheese (with dates if you have them).
 Andy Johnson 27 Sep 2017

Primula cheese in a squirty tube works pretty well with any kind of delivery medium (Scottish oatcakes, crispbread, bits of bread, etc). And you can also squirt it straight into your mouth if so inclined. I wouldn't trust it for longer than a day though, except in cold weather.

Tartrex veg pate is tasty and lasts several days. The metal foil tubes are kind of heavy though.

Holland and Barrat sell vegetarian pepperoni that are indestructible and long lasting. They taste ok if you're hungry enough, in the same way that a pot noodle tastes ok if you're hungry enough.

Oh, and dried banana chips.
 Pkrynicki1984 27 Sep 2017

No finer Hill-snack.

Cold with cheese an a pepperami inside at a push

Scotch eggs.

Of course...

I see no one has mentioned Kendal Mint Cake... or those energy gels you can buy. I guess they're either too antiquated or pricey?
 d_b 27 Sep 2017

Kendal mint cake is just a block of mint flavoured sugar. You get a sugar rush for about 10 minutes, then crash. Counterproductive unless you eat it with something else.

d_b 27 Sep 2017

I go for a balanced approach and always combine two different food groups. These groups being fruit cake and cheese.

Soreen if I am being cheap, (non boozy) christmas cake in winter.
 GrahamD 27 Sep 2017

Kendal Mint Cake brings back unfortunate memories of teenager mid night feasts on a school away trip

If I'm organised enough i really like having an orange in my bag as a complete contrast to all the other 'fuel' snacks I'm carrying.
 HammondR 27 Sep 2017
I usually shun grains and most sugar, so chopped carrots, peppers and tomato with cheese supplemented by Primal Pantry bars or homemade versions. Fruit too.

Andy Johnson 27 Sep 2017

On longer trips I just take Lembas bread wrapped in fresh Mallorn leaves.
 kolkrabe 27 Sep 2017

+1 for Soreen Malt Loaf - near indestructible!
 d_b 27 Sep 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:
I tried Lembas bread but it burns us, doesn't it precioussss.

Food allergies are a bitch.
Post edited at 13:09

> On longer trips I just take Lembas bread wrapped in fresh Mallorn leaves.

Like your style Frodo. Was this on a trip up Mount Doom perchance?
 d_b 27 Sep 2017

Frodo just followed the tourist path and didn't even get all the way to the top. Bloody charity walkers.
+1 for Scottish oatcakes with Tubey Cheese and Malt loaf (Now available in mini bars). But I also have a bag of Bombay Mix for grazing.
 thommi 27 Sep 2017

cold, crispy roast potatoes covered in salt in a sandwich bag, cubes of gruyere.... recently been a fan of the tuna infusion things you can get. even have a neat little lid so you dont make a mess carrying it home.
 Dave the Rave 27 Sep 2017

Soreen malt loaf, chopped in half lengthways with 1/8" of butter( salted) spread on it.
Flapjacks from B and M. Big ones 25p.

Occasionally take High Lane oatcakes to Kinder with bacon cheese and brown sauce. More of a heavy lunch.
le_quack 28 Sep 2017

Peanut butter straight from the jar. Flapjacks are also a favourite of mine.
 Toccata 28 Sep 2017

All the reduced samosas, spring rolls and pakora in the reduced section in Morrison's. Ideal when the weather's pish.
 Glyno 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Flapjacks from B and M. Big ones 25p.

Ha Ha... you buy them too?

Not the nicest, but at that price who cares? I normally get about three quid's worth at a time!
Rigid Raider 28 Sep 2017

Nobody has mentioned maltodextrin in the water bottle or energy bars or gels, which are popular amongst cyclists.

One well-known energy brand is SIS and you can buy pure maltodextrin cheaply from Myprotein.
 Dave the Rave 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Glyno:

> Ha Ha... you buy them too?

> Not the nicest, but at that price who cares? I normally get about three quid's worth at a time!

When you're hungry or don't care, they're the business. Bought a full box once. Great for the kids butty boxes.
 Bulls Crack 28 Sep 2017

Dwarf bread for me. Can be used as an ice axe if need be
Removed User 28 Sep 2017

Graze Protein bars, Naked Yoghurt and a jam sandwich and sweet coffee.

Graze bars are running a promotion to delver a box for free at the minute!
 Dave the Rave 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Removed UserSol:
> Graze Protein bars, Naked Yoghurt and a jam sandwich and sweet coffee.

> Graze bars are running a promotion to delver a box for free at the minute!

I'm always amazed by the Graze gerbils. Normally they are eaten by young, energetic, 20 something females to look trendy. One once explained to me that they put these meals in little boxes for you. I thought 'ffs if you're so dynamic then make your own for a fraction of the cost'! Free my arse! They offer free deals with a tie in! Shite
Post edited at 22:40
Removed User 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Sorry to dissapoint Dave but I'm a hairy 4rsed male - and I aint no great baker either.

So I guess I'll have to make do with the free offering for now - I do dispose of the eco packaging responsibly though.

Fozzy 29 Sep 2017

Chorizo, cheese, crusty bread, fresh fruit, dried apricots and banana, prawn cocktail crisps and snickers bars.
I tend to take a small flask of tea (little lifeventure 1-mug flask), and either normal water or drop a couple of Hi5 Zero tabs into my bottle (depending on their availability at Lidl).
 Chris Harris 29 Sep 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I always end up craving hula hoops.

Oddly enough, the only time I ever eat them is on the hill. Usually the beef flavour.

Salt & carbs, lower fat than crisps, and reasonably robust so they don't get reduced to shrapnel in the bag.

Another shout for malt loaf.

llechwedd 29 Sep 2017

Jam butties, smoked mussels, and tea or orange squash.

I also keep an eye out for those bananas you can get in Aldi- the ones that you can take the skin back down with you, rather than leaving it in a cairn, or near a path.

Black grouse, chanterelles, trout, and bilberries, in season. Sheep are just too messy.
 Iain Thow 30 Sep 2017
As mentioned above, malt loaf rules ok! Ditto flapjacks.
Nakd bars are pretty good, despite looking like doggy chews.
Rather like the new (to me anyway) fruesli bars.
(and know for a fact that deleted bagger above is another malt loaf junkie)
 Lucy Wallace 30 Sep 2017

Currently addicted to Wild Trail Bars. I've started bulk buying them!

+1 for soreen, and on multi day trips its oatcakes and squeezy cheese.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...