UKC

Whitestonecliffe Conditions/ drying time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 26 Sep 2017
Does anyone know how long Whitestonecliffe takes to dry please?
I'm rather keen to go and climb The Nightwatch but if it's going to be wet and horrible I won't bother making the drive up on saturday (rain is currently forecast for friday lunchtime and we'd be aiming to climb it midday on saturday so possibly a bit optimistic!). The miniguide on Climb Online does not give any info on conditions/ drying time and neither does the UKC page.
 Simon Caldwell 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

It overhangs so is slow to get wet, and takes little drainage so is quick to dry. I've climbed it during light rain and stayed dry until the belay, and climbed it within a couple of hours of heavy rain. If it does turn out to be wet then you may find that some of the normally dependable rock becomes a bit friable

Beware the descent gully if at all damp!
 petegunn 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

+1 for the gully, more call outs for this than the routes themselves!
 jkarran 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

Biggest issue with drying at the moment will be the cloudbase.
jk
 Simon Caldwell 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

There are good trees at the top of the gully where you can attach a rope for handrail/ab descent. If you know the crag then you can also rig abseils down the routes, though this can be a bit antisocial oif busy (it happens sometimes!)
 Andy Saxby 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

I would agree with Simon Caldwell but if it really hoses it down on Friday afternoon I would not bother with the trip or divert to a NYM venue

Regards
Andy
OP spenser 27 Sep 2017
In reply to spenser:

Thanks all,
I'll chuck an ab rope in the car too if the weather continues looking like it will play ball!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...