UKC

Top climbing equipment shops in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elcapitainkev 27 Sep 2017
Hi,

I live in an area with no climbing shops and it is time for me to buy a new pair of rock climbing shoes. By coincidence I am heading to London for work.

My question is what are peoples recommendations for retailers. I often go to those shops around covent garden, ellis Brigham & Snow Rock. But I was wondering if there are any others that are worth a look.

I have done a quick internet search and note Cold Mountain & the Vauxhall Climbing Centre, are they worth me visiting? Are there any others?

What do folk recommend?

Cheers, Kev
 conorcussell 27 Sep 2017
In reply to elcapitainkev:

Cold Mountain Kit is good. Rock On at Mile End Climbing wall is really good too and you can go for a climb at the same time.
Malarkey 27 Sep 2017

For such a big city London is extraordinarily poorly serve for places to buy climbing shoes - possibly the single item that I will NOT buy online.

Cold Mountain Kit is OK. The Arch, Vauxwall, and The Castle all sell a few lines of decent shoes. But I wouldn't go there unless I was climbing there.

Of the Covent Garden shops only Snow and Rock usually have a small selection of reasonable models. The others have a section of remainders in odd sizes that no-one wants.

I really don't know why its so bad.
 Pete Dangerous 27 Sep 2017

I tried finding a new pair in London recently and selection was dire. I'll head to Mile End at some point as I've been told they have a decent range.
 Mr. Lee 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Malarkey:

> For such a big city London is extraordinarily poorly serve for places to buy climbing shoes - possibly the single item that I will NOT buy online.

> I found London poor for all types of gear. Everybody selling the same brands of clothing. Ie North Face and Arcteryx. Did nearly all my shopping online as you say.
 marsbar 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Malarkey:

> For such a big city London is extraordinarily poorly serve for places to buy climbing shoes - possibly the single item that I will NOT buy online.

> I really don't know why its so bad.

Question and answer both above.

London isn't a cheap place to have a shop. It isn't worth having a shop for people to finger your goods and then buy them online.

If people want shops to be able to try things on, get advice, have a chat and a cuppa, look at the latest shiny things and so on, people need to support their local shops and actually buy stuff now and again, in the shop.

Malarkey 27 Sep 2017
In reply to marsbar:

I rarely ever see much of an online discount on my fairly standard mans size shoes 10-11 (maybe 10-15% on RRP). As I said I really want to buy in a shop as sizing is just all over the place. Yet the section is ridiculously poor in London. The better models are seldom available in popular sizes. Its ridiculous.
 Slarti B 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Malarkey:

> Of the Covent Garden shops only Snow and Rock usually have a small selection of reasonable models. The others have a section of remainders in odd sizes that no-one wants.

I think Cotswold Outdoor in Covent Garden is also worth a visit. I was buying new shoes there last week ( though I knew what I wanted!) and they had a fair, but not extensive, selection.
 beefy_legacy 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Malarkey:

It is ridiculous, you are right. Which is why people end up buying online and sending them back if they are the wrong size. But then fewer people go into shops, so they stock fewer models and stop catering for the experienced, so the experienced all go online to biy their gear etc etc. It's a vicious cycle I'm afraid. Rock On is the only shop in London I have been to with a good selection and the guy there was pretty helpful, otherwise it's hopeless.

What is to be noted, Cotswolds and Snow & Rock both price match in store to uk websites. My partner bought a pair of Anasazis in store last week which they price matched to bananafingers - she paid £83.50 Bargain!
 nufkin 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Malarkey:

> Yet the section is ridiculously poor in London

I suppose it's not helped by the fact that the area doesn't exactly abound with actual rocks to draw the crowds. Increasingly awash with climbing walls though, and they're probably the best bet for good shops now - Castle and Mile End the best options now there's no Urbanrock at the Westway.

Plus Could Mountain Kit as mentioned above, but I've never looked in there
 HakanT 28 Sep 2017

Kev,

Do you know what brand and/or model you are looking for? It seems like different stores and gyms will have a greater selection of certain brands. Also, keep in mind that both Snow+Rock and Cotswold will match any online prices (and they give you a BMC member discount). I've even managed to get them to match Sport Pursuit's prices. With just a little bit of Google Shopping, you'll never pay full price.
 Mr. Lee 28 Sep 2017
In reply to marsbar:

> Question and answer both above.

> London isn't a cheap place to have a shop. It isn't worth having a shop for people to finger your goods and then buy them online.

> If people want shops to be able to try things on, get advice, have a chat and a cuppa, look at the latest shiny things and so on, people need to support their local shops and actually buy stuff now and again, in the shop.

It's a chicken and egg situation though. You're working on the scenario that there's no point shops stocking stuff if people are just going to try stuff on and then buy online. I was buying most stuff online when I lived in London BECAUSE the shop stock was so limited. My typical experience was spending an hour on public transport getting to Covent Garden, spending five minutes in each shop without finding anything to try on, then travelling an hour home. It was generally easier just to order stuff to the front door. I thought the shop at Mile End was good for shoes. Urban Rock did some good deals, particularly on axes I remember.
 climbwhenready 28 Sep 2017

Cold Mountain Kit and Mile End. Good selection and knowledgeable staff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...