UKC

Top rope anchor indoor climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Good afternoon,

Our scout hut has a top roped climbing wall which we installed around 10 years ago, the current method of setting up the ropes is to pass them through a screw gate attached to an M10 eye bolt which goes through the concrete joists holding the roof.

Currently this relies on a single anchor which whilst made out of very strong steel and passing through a foot of concrete does not have any backup. This method has been used for a long time on the wall prior to its refit but I was looking for a way to add a backup to each point.

So my current options are:

Continue as is with the single bolt.

Drill the brick wall below (I do not know if this is load bearing, it is brick and mortar) and add a second bolt.

Half the amount of lines on the wall by running the ropes through two of the bolts at a time, they are 2 feet apart.

Mount a bolt to the timber frame of the climbing wall which is then screwed to the brick wall behind.

Does anybody have prior experience with this or advice?

In reply to benmason:

I think your issue is a bit more complicated than you expect - send me an email and an image of the wall and I can give you a bit of advice but you won't like it!
Nate

info@climbingwallservices.com
 radddogg 27 Sep 2017
In reply to benmason:

Why can't you use an expansion bolt and hangar near to the existing anchor?
 jezb1 27 Sep 2017
In reply to benmason:

I'd be getting in touch with Nate who's posted above.
In reply to radddogg:

The current bolts run through pre drilled holes in reinforced concrete. I dont know enough about construction to drill that. However I do have another solution now putting slings around the structure
In reply to Climbing Wall Services:

Thanks Nate
I have emailed
 jimtitt 27 Sep 2017
In reply to benmason:

Nobody can tell you what is acceptable apart from your insurance company and a structural
engineer, any bolt manufacturer can supply the parts after that.
 radddogg 28 Sep 2017
In reply to benmason:

Hammer drill and a masonary bit. You're only going in 2"
 wayne1965 28 Sep 2017
In reply to benmason:
If your anchor points are only 2ft apart
and you are looking for a BACKUP ... i.e. not load bearing while people are climbing .. only in the case of a system failure
then.....
I would suggest
a long steel chain linking along the whole line of screw gates
then most anchors will have two backups
the end points - worst case - one back with a max fall of 2ft (still way better than no backup)
IF you are concerned about the chain being on the same screw gate that the rope runs through
THEN ... add another screw gate to each hanger .... so your rope will run one screw gate lower
or you could use maillon to link chain/anchor/screw gate
.... just an idea .....

Scott K 29 Sep 2017
In reply to radddogg:

I think there needs to be a minimum spacing with concrete anchors so the holding 'cones' don't overlap or it compromises the holding power of both anchors. It's something like 10 diameters apart but don't hold me to that. A bit like ice screws.
 climber david 01 Oct 2017
In reply to wayne1965:

This (From what you've said) seems like the eaiest option. Leave a little slack between each anchor so that the angle the chain makes in the result of failure isnt too wide and your good to go. How many lines have you got?
In reply to wayne1965:

Great idea!

Thank you

In reply to climber david:

8 anchors over 6 lines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...