UKC

Cycling waterproofs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2017

I'm planning a bit of cycle touring and one thing I don't have in my collection of assorted gear is a decent pair of waterproof trousers - I rarely wear them on the hills, so I've only got a really cheap pair for emergencies.

I wouldn't normally wear them on the bike, either, but there's a chance I might need them on this trip, as I won't be able to sit around and wait for the rain to stop.

Any recommendations for a good pair that would work for cycling in and not look ridiculous if I use them hill walking after this trip? This trip will also involve a certain amount of bike pushing, too.

Thanks in advance.

Might be used for cycle commuting over the winter, too.
Post edited at 01:01
 Yanis Nayu 28 Sep 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
I could only see that working if you were going really, really slowly. I'd say it's normally preferable to get wet. I'd get some Castelli nanoflex tights or leg warmers. They do a good job cycling - retain some worth, repel rain and don't hinder you.

You'd look like a right nob hill-walking in them mind.
Post edited at 07:47
Like Yanis, I'd be inclined to avoid waterproof trousers on the bike. However, I do have a pair from decathlon (link below) which aren't too bad: they're comfortable next to the skin, they're a nice close fit-lose and have some stretch, they're full-length zipped and fairly breathable, they have a nice non-shiny outer and generally do a good job for the money. I do sometimes take them when cycling as the full length zip makes them easy to throw on over a pair of shorts for a lunch or café stop.

I have found that there's a limit to the waterproofing ability but this falls more or less where my hardshell also fails, I'm not sure you'd find anything much better.

Edit - forgot to paste link!
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/over-trousers-black-id_8369904.html
Post edited at 07:50
Rigid Raider 28 Sep 2017

You will seldom see cyclists wearing waterproof trousers because they make you sweat so much and hinder movement as well as bunching up in the saddle area. We tried them once on a Polaris mountain marathon and they were more trouble than they were worth so we never used them again, preferring to use repellent bib tights, which don't soak up water and dry fast. A good brand, made in Radcliffe, Manchester, is Lusso. Their Max Repel tights make water bead up and don't get soaked; I've worn them for winter riding for over 20 years and they are extremely comfortable and hard-wearing. In that time I've worn out one pair.

If you really want to wear overtrousers you'll need Goretex and they will cost you the price of a few bunkhouse nights.
 James FR 28 Sep 2017

I agree that for most kinds of cycling, waterproof trousers are a bad idea, but I do have a pair similar to the Decathlon ones linked above for the kind of cycle touring I do. I have used them quite a lot - but I go very slowly (loaded with camping gear, child in a trailer, etc) so sweating isn't such a problem - I average 75-90 km per day at 10-12 km/h.

If you're doing faster and lighter touring then I agree that something quick-drying is probably the way to go.
 Dan Arkle 28 Sep 2017

Just a quick heads-up to any cyclists - its Aldi cycling special buy day, with lots of good deals, inc waterproofs
 alisonk 28 Sep 2017

For cycle touring I have used http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-helium-3-4-2017/rp-prod107378 which helps keep the worst off, often with long bib tights underneath.
OP LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Was trying not to make my OP too long-winded, but perhaps I should have put a bit more detail in.

Normally, no, I wouldn't wear them cycling for all the reasons mentioned and I do, in fact, have several items of the Castelli Nanoflex range, which I will be taking.

But, as you say, I'd feel pretty silly wandering around in them when off the bike.

I'm only taking them as an emergency if it does properly throw it down.
 cousin nick 28 Sep 2017

I have some Endura ones for commuting on the Brompton, but as others have said, for touring I just accept that I'll get wet whether wearing bib-shorts or bib-longs.
I do however try to keep me arse relatively dry using either clip-on mudguards or a saddle mounted 'ass saver' on the road bike. A soaking wet chamois is not a nice thing!
For the MTB (I tend to ride MTB quite a bit in very wet weather) waterproof shorts over bib-shorts is my preferred strategy now and works well keeping water and mud at bay.

N
Rigid Raider 28 Sep 2017

Yes, riding C2C we got soaked a couple of times in heavy downpours and I was grateful that I had fitted mudguards, which prevented the shorts pad from becoming too wet.
 Monk 28 Sep 2017

I Only wear waterproof trousers on the bike for commuting, the rest of the time I just get wet. I just use the cheapest pack a mac style from millets, decathlon etc. Just make sure they aren't too flappy round the ankles. They keep the worst off when it's grim and if you do catch them in the chain ring you don't care as they are cheap. They also tend to be quite light and small.
 Phil1919 28 Sep 2017

I use Montane lightweight waterproof trousers in the winter. They have worked well for me, but I'm not generally on a racer. Slower touring type cycling. I find keep me warmer than if I just stick it out. Especially in the winter of course. However, I use Ron Hills or Craghopper type stretchy trousers, which aren't so good if they get wet.
 cragtyke 28 Sep 2017

There are some waterproof cycling overtrousers in this weeks Aldi special offers, £15, may be worth looking at, supposedly breathable and with velcro ankle fastenings.
 Brass Nipples 28 Sep 2017

Have you considered waterproof shorts? They tend to work well on a bike.

Phil1919 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

In winter I'd find them too cold. I ride at times with the montane overtrousers pulled down a bit to stop water going inside waterproof socks. Keeps feet dryish and warmish. If socks get wet, my feet get cold quite quickly.
 richparry 28 Sep 2017

I've just cycled from Bergen to Nordkapp. It rained nearly every day.
I wore a pair of mountain equipment goretex over trousers. Side zips a?lowing a bit of ventilation.
Also used a pair of overshoes over my boots whenever it was lashing it down. I managed to stay mostly dry.
You'll get a bit warm cycling in over trousers, but it beats getting soaked every day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...