UKC

NEWS: Jerry Gore involved in Road Bike Collision

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Sep 2017
Expedition climber and outdoor industry businessman Jerry Gore was recently involved in a collision with a motorist whilst cycling on a local road near his home in Vallouise, France. Jerry is slowly starting to recover from his injuries, which include spinal damage and paralysis of his right arm, whilst also trying to manage his type 1 diabetes. Jerry is keen to share an important message about the consequences of careless driving.

Read more
 john arran 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Sorry to hear that, Jerry. Hope you recovery goes well; sounds like a pretty full-on challenge you've set yourself.
 Greenbanks 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for these insights. Essential reading I'd think for anyone using our roads - especially motorists. My lad does a lot of biking - this article is definitely on his reading list. Bon courage & get well soon. I'll add my ££ to the A4D pot.
 TonyM 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Really unfortunate news and a well-worded warning. Having slammed into a car that pulled out straight into my path, I can relate to the story, although speed of impact of my bike wasn't as high and my resultant injuries weren't nearly as bad. What resonates is the sense of being needlessly robbed of opportunities and plans for life by milliseconds of unthinking action by another.
I've met Jerry occasionally over the last 25 years, but not recently. Wishing him as full and swift a recovery as is humanly possible.
In reply to UKC News:

I survived a very similar crash, probably at similar speed, or higher. It wrote off my bike (crushed wheel, bent forks, frame bent beyond repair).

The husband of the woman who reversed out of her driveway in front of me then had the gall to say that his car had been scratched.

By comparison, I was very lucky in that the only injuries I suffered were soft tissue; classic heavy thigh bruising from hitting the handlebars as the bike stopped suddenly, and I continued, flying over the back of the car. I was off work for a week, pretty much unable to walk.

In my case, it wasn't that she hadn't seen me; she told me "I saw you, but I thought you'd stop". Why would I? I was travelling down the road, and she reversed out in front of me when I was about 5m away.

Best of luck to Jerry for a quick and full recovery.
 John Ww 28 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody hell Jerry, that's grim - to put it mildly!! Take it easy and don't rush it, all the best, J&S x
 Tyler 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

All the very best for the recovery, Jerry. I know you're pretty much invincible so I doubt this'll hold you back for long.
 simes303 29 Sep 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

> In my case, it wasn't that she hadn't seen me; she told me "I saw you, but I thought you'd stop". Why would I? I was travelling down the road, and she reversed out in front of me when I was about 5m away.

I've been cycling to work ever since I started work 20 years ago. That attitude is all too common.
 tombeasley 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Get well soon Jerry.
 Steve Kempley 29 Sep 2017
Jerry, wishing you the best for your recovery, I know your determination will help you through. Very sorry to hear what you've been through, but thank you for sharing it with such a positive message.
Removed User 29 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I saw this on a friend's FB feed, shocking. Jerry if you read this courage and I hope you make a speedy and full recovery.

This is sobering for anyone who cycles, especially if like me you think you are safe in cycling friendly countries like France. I probably do 70% of my road biking in France because of the driving culture here. Yet it only takes one car driven by someone who even at worst has a simple lapse in concentration. I'm not saying that's what happened here but I defy anyone on here who has done any amount of driving to claim they have never done anything that in hindsight was not well considered. I certainly have, and I try to maintain an awareness that I'm behind the wheel of a heavy and solid projectile.

I've posted about this before but I hit a car so hard on my bike that I wrote the car off. It did a U turn across me when I was going downhill c.30mph. A real "There's nothing I can do about this" moment. I went right over the top of the car and the bike came with me as I was clipped in, we parted company in mid air I think. I was very battered, bruised and sore, but very lucky. I could easily have ended up like Jerry.

Not so much think bike, more like think person on a bike. Someone with a life, family, friends, much like you.
 Toby_W 30 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

If you read this Jerry, good luck, you're in our thoughts. I hope you can turn it around and take some enjoyment from the challenge of recovering from this, I have oddly fond memories of the agony of physio.

Toby

In reply to UKC News:

Jerry - great attitude; you will drag yourself out of this and go on to more great things.

Drivers - could we make bike awareness part of the driving test? I am regularly heard ranting at drivers who brush inches past me around Sheffield and the Peak. I have no empathy for momentary loss of attention either, we must all be 100% vigilant when driving.
In reply to UKC News:

Sorry to hear that Jerry. A Keswickian (Frank Lee who was a barber in Keswick for many years) was knocked off his bike recently and died about a week ago. The prosecution will be alleging death was the result of the accident and the defense no doubt trying to prove the opposite, but Frank's friends are convinced that a little bit of patience on the part of the driver and Frank would still be with us.

Sal and I hope you make a speedy recovery.
 TheGeneralist 30 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Natalie,
Please could you explain why your title reads "Jerry Gore involved in Road Bike Collision" rather than "Jerry Gore knocked off his bike by car" or "Jerry Gore badly injured after being hit by car"

[Especially given the empathetic nature of the story detail] I'm dismayed and appalled that you're buying into the whole idea of portraying cycle/vehicle collisions as being a meeting of equals with an implication of shared responsibility on both sides.

Jerry wasn't "involved" in a collision. He was knocked off his bike by a car. He was hit by a car. Say it like it actually is an then maybe we can make some progress in highlighting where the f*cking problem actually is.

Jerry's quite clear about the problem. You don't seem to be so convinced... why is that?

Excuse my language, but this foul British attitude to cyclists really bothers me.
Post edited at 13:29
In reply to TheGeneralist:

I think you have a good point but I think you could have made it just as well and got more people to agree with your argument if you had put it across strongly but more politely.
 jon 01 Oct 2017

> Natalie,

> Please could you explain why your title reads "Jerry Gore involved in Road Bike Collision" rather than "Jerry Gore knocked off his bike by car" or "Jerry Gore badly injured after being hit by car"

> Jerry wasn't "involved" in a collision. He was knocked off his bike by a car. He was hit by a car. Say it like it actually is an then maybe we can make some progress in highlighting where the f*cking problem actually is.

He wasn't knocked off his bike by a car. He rode into a car that pulled out in front of him. He was therefore in collision with a car as Natalie stated. Maybe you owe Natalie an apology.

Thanks for your measured response. A collision is an accident involving two vehicles hitting each other. The word alone and my use of 'involved' in the title does not imply any responsibility on Jerry's behalf. My choice of title rather than the ones you suggest is purely down to character limits in the montage on our home page and a need for concision. They're a bit of a mouthful. 'Road Bike Accident' is an option but suggests simply falling off the bike.

You are arguing for a distinction between active and passive involvement. You could argue that he was passively involved rather than actively involved in a collision, but 'Jerry Gore Passively Involved in Road Bike Collision' hasn't got much of a ring to it. The story makes it clear.

I don't possess this 'foul British attitude' towards cyclists that you mention and I'm not sure how you can reasonably reach that conclusion from a 7 word headline. Read beyond the headline and you'll pick up on empathy, as you mention.
Post edited at 10:23
 Babika 03 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very best of luck with the recovery!

I hope the meal/house party last week perked you up a bit - friends old and new are often the best medicine...
 TheGeneralist 03 Oct 2017
In reply to mountain.martin:

> But I think you could have made it just as well and got more people to agree with your argument if you had put it across strongly but more politely

Good point well made. Apologies for my language.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...