UKC

Mount Teide -March

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GeorgeR 02 Oct 2017
Hi

I'm think of climbing Mount Teide next March whilst on a family holiday to Tenerife. Walking up and Staying at the Refuge. From what I can tell there is a likelyhood of snow on the summit in March, the question is are Ice axe and crampons required or is it manageable without?
 Mikkel 02 Oct 2017
In reply to GeorgeR:

If crampons and axes is needed the last bit of path to the summit would most likely be closed.
Dont forget you need a permit for the summit as well.
 hamsforlegs 02 Oct 2017
In reply to GeorgeR:

My wife and I walked up Teide last February on dry paths apart from one or two icy steps near the top. I don't know how typical that was, but there was very little white near the top, and the whole thing is on a well made and obvious path.

We set off at midnight and walked easily to the summit ready for sunrise. There is a gated summit path away from the cable car. You don't require a permit if you pass the gate and get up to the summit before sunrise, and then leave immediately afterward. The hut near the summit looked well organised, and I'd probably go for that along with the permit if I was organised enough to book in advance!

A really worthwhile outing. We then walked out via another volcanic summit to the Parador hotel before getting a bus back to our car, which made for a nice itinerary.

Enjoy it.
Hams
OP GeorgeR 02 Oct 2017
In reply to hamsforlegs:

Thanks for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...