/ Tom Petty RIP

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
ian Ll-J - on 02 Oct 2017
Sad news for Tom Petty fans.
Wanderer100 - on 02 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

Brexit???
aln - on 02 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

I was never a big fan but that languid voice and lazy strumming guitar has been entertaining for a long time. And his contribution to the Travelling Wilburys...
Blue Straggler - on 02 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

On the upside it does give rise to the shortest obituary ever.
Steve Perry - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

Sounds like he may not be dead according to the latest reports.
Blue Straggler - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Steve Perry:
Zom Petty
Post edited at 00:24
marsbar - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Steve Perry:

It seems it was reported a little early but he has now gone.
marsbar - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

You might want to ask for that to be removed given the change since last night?
veteye on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

I'm devastated and of course heartbroken. The accounts of his life on Yahoo and the BBC Today programme,with whispering Bob Harris, who said that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were just about his favourite band, have listed the reasons for his greatness, but it is just the feel of his music which consistently gave me a good feeling. It appealed to most people that I know, and apparently inspired many other bands.

That god person seems to be deconstructing and decomposing my past, and my roots musically and socially, at a hell of a rate.(It's not long since Walter Becker died)

It's really sad.
andymac - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

Sad news

And kind of weird for me.

I was watching 'Handle With Care ' last night and thought to myself how sad it was that George and Roy were no longer with us.

And this morning it's Tom.

Learning to fly ,Free Fallin ,,and the rest of of That great Album were my early 90s anthems.

RIP
TMM on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

Really sad news.

In interview he always struck me as an understated but uncompromising guy which I like.

I enjoyed his music. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't avant garde, he was never at the cutting edge of any movement but he wrote some great songs and led a great hard working touring band who could cut it on stage and in the studio.

66 is no age these days. Lesson for us all to make the most of every day.

Surprised by some of the flippant comments on this thread, surely not necessary.
Tom. Pity

Greenbanks - on 03 Oct 2017

You're a smart Alec aren't you? 3 contributions to a thread aimed at recognising someone's passing and all you contribute is a naff attempt to show that you can make a few clever plays on words. Does you no service whatever.

Whatever you think of Petty's music (and he was a really good songwriter (Freefallin', American Girl etc), was held in very high esteem by his counterparts - like George Harrison, Dylan, and put in a good shift for humanitarian causes.

In reply to Greenbanks:
OK, I'll toe the line.

He never really grabbed me but I can certainly respect his body of work, notably the songwriting aspect.
He seemed to be a good guy with far less ego than many peers operating at the same level.
I heard a really nice cover of The Travelling Wilburys' "Handle With Care".
66 is really no age and he was still creatively active.

Is that enough of a contribution now?

I thought "Tom. Pity" was quite respectful actually.
Post edited at 11:45
Steve Perry - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Yes, what a shame. I went to bed last night thinking it was all just a mix up.
R.I.P
Greenbanks - on 03 Oct 2017

Thanks! Appreciated. And apologies for being a bit lippy. It always seems to me to be sad when people you've 'grown up with' die. Mortality, eh?

In reply to Greenbanks:
No worries, your reaction was understandable....I think all my previous posts was one of many cases of "what seems like pithy humour in one's head, really doesn't come across in plain text" but I certainly was not trying to be a dick (and I know I am setting myself up with that last comment there)
Post edited at 12:13
Ian W - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

And apart from the music and the superb shows he put on, we should not underestimate his contributions to artistic freedom and forcing a major record label to back down.

Basically the bloke understood Rock and roll. He'll be missed.
Shani - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

Just seen his daughter's Instagram...I don't think he is dead.
In reply to Shani:

> Just seen his daughter's Instagram...I don't think he is dead.

That's probably from 16 hours ago.
Nevis-the-cat - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

I was over in California last week, and driving around north LA was singing away everytime I spotted a sign for Ventura Boulevard, Reseda or wherever.

We tried to get tickets for his gig at the Hollywood Bowl but to no avail - to find out he's passed is gutting.

He was one of the good guys - something of the real 70's Americana about his stuff, along with Warren Zevon, Ry Cooder, Neil Young (yeah - I know, he's Canadian).
Bulls Crack - on 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Used t sing this to my daughter when she was little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8wAmU7zpk
I like climbing - on 04 Oct 2017
In reply to ian Ll-J:

I remember we were standing at the side of the stage around 10 years ago during his show at the Greek in San Francisco after our set. We loved his trademark jacket and were intrigued by the mic next to his draped in jewelry but unoccupied until halfway through the show. And then on walked Stevie Nicks.
His passing is really sad - I think his last show was last week.
Greenbanks - on 08 Oct 2017

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.