UKC

European resort ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 02 Oct 2017
We're trying to organise ski trip for 8-10 people in Europe, for 95% resort skiing. A few of us will head out touring, but not enough to influence the resort choice. What would influence it slightly would be easily accessible easy gullies/couloirs to introduce a few of them to the joys of slightly steeper skiing.

Between us all we've been to Courchevel, La Plagne, Les Gets, Les Arcs and a few of the other 'big' resorts in France, but we're keen to get away exploring somewhere else, ideally not in France. Italy is up on the list of options, and possibly Austria and Andorra.

We're looking for all inclusive (flights, catered chalet accomm on/near the piste etc) to keep everyone happy, but at around £700 + passes/hire. Not too bothered about night life, we provide our own entertainment. We've managed this cost before in France on previous trips, so expect we'd be able to do it elsewhere too, just don't know where!

If anyone has any experience of all inclusive/package companies that are half decent and that run trips to good resorts in Italy/Austria that would keep red/black skiiers happy for a week, I'd love to hear them! Thanks.
 Dark-Cloud 03 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

What time of year may influence the choices, i have been to Kaprun very early season and enjoyed it, was just on a performance course but the town is nice, the skiing was good and Austria still seems fairly good value food and drink wise, this was pre brexit mind you so anything might have happened now......
 Carless 03 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

For Austria, have a read of this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/Best-Austrian-ski-resorts/
Enjoyed a week in Ischgl last Easter and not only because of the Schatzi ski bar at the bottom of a piste in the vallage
 Chris the Tall 03 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

> What would influence it slightly would be easily accessible easy gullies/couloirs to introduce a few of them to the joys of slightly steeper skiing.

Montgenevre would fit the bill for that. It's in France, but only just !

The only place I've skiied in Austria was St Anton - which was brilliant but I'm not sure you could do it on your budget

OP NottsRich 06 Oct 2017

Thanks all, I'll put a few of those suggestions forward and see what they say. Montgenevre does look rather good...
 Carless 06 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Montgenevre is great but not sure you'll have enough to amuse for the whole week
http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/France/Montgenevre-Piste-Map-Large.j...

Maybe Serre Chevalier as a base + 2-3 days Montgenevre
 John Ww 06 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Have a look at the Gressoney/ Monte Rosa area - in Italy, very reasonable prices, loads to do (including off piste and heliskiing).

JW
 DaveHK 06 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
La Thuile. Great piste, heaps of side country and great touring. Nice enough town too.
Post edited at 22:41
 David Bennett 06 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
Look up Passo Tonale in Italy, great lift served off piste including couloirs like diablo with some good touring on the Pisgana glacier too. Plenty of reds / blacks between Passo Tonale and Pontedilegno. There's not much by the way of all inclusive deals but the resort is quite cheap. Not much by the way of nightlife but it's a friendly resort.

You could try Gressoney in Italy where you might benefit more from skining for the best stuff but have relatively easy access to couloirs like Eagle or Canale Grande. You've got Champlouc and Alagna to ski in too.

Lastly look up Verbier, I think it's the best but it's not cheap.

Edit Oops should read the whole thread before posting John W got in first re Gressoney...
Post edited at 23:06
OP NottsRich 26 Oct 2017
In reply to David Bennett:

Thanks all for your suggestions, we settled on Passo Tonale. It's got a fair bit of easy stuff, and your suggestions imply it's got some good off piste too. Now to start researching!
 Stairclimber 28 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Try Serre Chevalier even if it is in France. Loads of nearby touring and off piste from lifts. La Grave is also only 30 minutes away. Having transport would help with the touring possibilities, but hitching up and down the valley towards the Col du Lautaret is feasible. Disadvantage might be the relatively expensive ski pass and what many consider a limited night life scene. I have been living there for 9 seasons and am still loving both lift serviced and touring skiing. Get in touch if you want more info.
 HeMa 28 Oct 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
It was nice. Also a lovely slack country run, that involved skiing through a tunnel. Most times I assume it’s walking, but there was a ski-mo comp, so they ’paved’ the tunnel with snow.
OP NottsRich 10 Nov 2017
In reply to HeMa:

Hi, do you have any more info about this run? It's been mentioned to me before and I'm intriuged by what/where it is. Thanks.
 HeMa 10 Nov 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
I can try to dig up infor from it... But I remember that I simply skied down the valley from the top lift (S-side of the pass) and followed the tracks lower down until I reached the tunnel.

Oh, headlamp might be nice.

It's more or less the B-run (dashed off-piste) on the piste map...
http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/ponte-di-legnotonalepresena-glaciertem...
Post edited at 13:32
 David Bennett 10 Nov 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Exactly, very nice at the top then through he tunnel, usually on foot using a fixed rope for balance, and then a bit of a drag back to town. Make sure you have reasonable snow or the last part will be a pain.

All of the dashed off-piste runs are good, A especially so but you will need to skin about 400m to access it. Diablo is not marked on this piste map but takes the rightwards slanting couloir, dropping in half way along route C just below the 5 in the 2150m symbol.

OP NottsRich 13 Nov 2017
In reply to David Bennett:

Awesome, thanks both - really useful info. I'd not found that piste map with offpiste runs marked on it. I'm taking skins, and gradually talking a couple of people around to the idea of skinning too... Plenty of options there.

Anyone know anything about route E? Presumably a skin over the col, across the valley (glacier? Don't think so) and a ski down the ridge?
 HeMa 13 Nov 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

didn't do it... but if memory serves me well.... there was no glacier on the N-side of the pass...

only on the South... Which I've heard was not too bad, but a nice scenic tour (in good weather). Adamella or something is the top. From what I gathered, it's a rather straight forward dealio (but on glacier).

oh, and some of the couloirs facing north seemed rather good... might have skied some (that were an easy skin or boot back from the lifts/pistes).

David Bennett 13 Nov 2017
In reply to NottsRich:
No glacier on route E as HeMa has stated. Has a bit of a back country feel with some skinning although some sections are a bit flat. Route D is similar. Both are worthwhile. If you want to be on glaciated ground head for Pisgana.
OP NottsRich 16 Nov 2017
Thanks again, really useful info. Keen to have a crack at Diablo, and nice to know there is some worthwhile and accesible off piste nearby too. Looking forward to it now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...