UKC

Do you look before you cross a road?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 03 Oct 2017
Coz every day I have to brake to not run over people who walk onto roads without looking. What the f*ck is wrong with you?
J1234 03 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:
We are looking at our smartphones posting on UKC. What is wrong with you, that you do not understand this.
Post edited at 16:49
 mypyrex 03 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

> Coz every day I have to brake to not run over people who walk onto roads without looking. What the f*ck is wrong with you?

Why the f*ck don't YOU look where YOU'RE going?
Lusk 03 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Taxi drivers, think they own the roads!

<shakes head and steps off the kerb ...>
OP aln 03 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I do, otherwise I'd be killing these f*cking idiots every day!
 Timmd 03 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:
I share your pain, after a fair while cycle commuting, I found myself wanting to clap somebody who'd actually turned their head before crossing the road. I realised then how much it'd got to me.

It makes no sense at all that people don't turn their heads...

I hope you beep them?
Post edited at 19:59
 Dave the Rave 03 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Deaf, demented, intoxicated, drugged, mind elsewhere, just plain stupid.
Remember, they might have family who might still like them a bit. Well done for taking care. I too share your pain.
OP aln 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I only beep for fun.
OP aln 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Deaf, demented, intoxicated, drugged, mind elsewhere, just plain stupid.

> Remember, they might have family who might still like them a bit

I'm going with stupid mostly. Does them having family mean I'm not allowed to kill them?
 marsbar 03 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Arrogant is my impression. Especially those that walk out in front of you, notice you and then continue slooowly as possible.
OP aln 03 Oct 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Oh those f*ckerz deserve to be run over
 Timmd 03 Oct 2017
In reply to marsbar:
> Arrogant is my impression. Especially those that walk out in front of you, notice you and then continue slooowly as possible.

That's when the mixture of a quiet bike and a loud air-horn can be quite satisfying, people can jump as if it's a vehicle they haven't spotted.
Post edited at 22:00
 Timmd 03 Oct 2017
In reply to marsbar:

I usually call out 'beep beep' in a friendly way...
 profitofdoom 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

> Coz every day I have to brake to not run over people who walk onto roads without looking. What the f*ck is wrong with you?

I really understand your first line because people walking in front of my car is the one thing that really scares me

But about your part 2 there's often nothing wrong with them. It is up to us drivers to drive slowly enough and carefully anywhere near pedestrians and not to hit them
 peppermill 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Since I've been driving a van it's people walking behind me that scares me more. Especially small children in car parks.
 duchessofmalfi 04 Oct 2017
In reply to peppermill:

I realise that lane discipline and indicating properly on roundabouts stopped years ago but when did stopping at red lights go out of fashion?
 LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

My personal favourites are the ones that stand at the kerb at lights, get bored waiting for more than 10 seconds for a green man and step off the kerb just before/as the lights go green for the traffic.

Impatient morons.
 Toby_W 04 Oct 2017
In reply to profitofdoom:

It's the trust that amazes me. People run halfway across the road and then start walking knowing you will slow down to a stop for them if necessary (as you should, (as you say)). Excluding the illegal things like texting or just distracting things like the radio, what if the coolant warning light come on and the dash starts flashing at you at that moment and you glance down for a second. To risk your life and health for no reason seems beyond foolish to me.
I think a lot of people have no ability to judge risk unless they climb or do other sports or take risks.

On the other hand it does make me try my very best to be a safe driver.

Cheers

Toby
 LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> That's when the mixture of a quiet bike and a loud air-horn can be quite satisfying, people can jump as if it's a vehicle they haven't spotted.

Unfortunately, a loud bike (650cc, barely legal exhaust) is no guarantee they won't step out, either I got hit in a bus lane when someone ran off the kerb and into me without warning - fortunately, I managed to stay upright and didn't get knocked into the traffic coming the other way.

Years ago, I used to drive a battered Fiesta with twin-tone air horns - even taxis used to jump! It is tempting to get the same as you for my commuting push bike.
 johncook 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Why should I look?
Modern cars have lots of glass for the driver to see me out of, efficient wash wipe systems to keep it clean, massively efficient braking systems with an anti-lock function to enable them to stop quickly for me , smooth fronts without sticky-up bonnet ornaments, and also energy absorbing bumpers and bodywork so if they do make contact they don't do me too much damage. Some of them even have warning systems to let the driver know there is an obstacle in front or behind them!
Why should I need to look?
 Timmd 04 Oct 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> Unfortunately, a loud bike (650cc, barely legal exhaust) is no guarantee they won't step out, either I got hit in a bus lane when someone ran off the kerb and into me without warning - fortunately, I managed to stay upright and didn't get knocked into the traffic coming the other way.

> Years ago, I used to drive a battered Fiesta with twin-tone air horns - even taxis used to jump! It is tempting to get the same as you for my commuting push bike.

I'm fairly often worried I'll cause a heart attack, but sometimes I can't help but use it when it's a headphone wearing (presumably healthy) youth who steps out right in front of me.

Edit: Hopefully it does them a good turn and they look more carefully after being startled.
Post edited at 11:11
 LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm fairly often worried I'll cause a heart attack, but sometimes I can't help but use it when it's a headphone wearing (presumably healthy) youth who steps out right in front of me.

They've already given you a heart attack, so fair's fair
 Dave B 04 Oct 2017
In reply to johncook:

You forgot an emoticon?
 Timmd 04 Oct 2017
Going at 'potter pace' where there's people stepping out frequently seems to help with staying calmer.

It seems to take a few near misses, and I remember to slow down and let them have space to not see me in.
Post edited at 11:47
 coinneach 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

You were lucky. Coming back from the lakes last night some cyclists rode past me with too many and not enough lights THEN got off their bikes and walked in front of me without looking. . . . Bastards
 oldie 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Obvously
> Coz every day I have to brake to not run over people who walk onto roads without looking. What the f*ck is wrong with you? <

Quite obviously its lack of attention or judgement, assuming one isn't suicidal. I write as someone who once stepped in front of a car on a country lane and escaped with a bad tibial fracture. Also harder to blame old people and children (though possibly their parents). However this is the real world and you have to live with us (or step on the accelerator).
I have been careless on a few other occasions. Anyway many thanks to the majority of vehicle users who are attentive.
Incidentally I don't drive, mainly because I found my judgement of a car's outer dimensions was poor and I thought I was likely to hit someone.

LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2017
In reply to johncook:

You forgot to mention powerful headlights for seeing people dressed all in black in the dark...
 peppermill 04 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> I realise that lane discipline and indicating properly on roundabouts stopped years ago but when did stopping at red lights go out of fashion?

No idea. Was it when prestigious German car brands became commonplace in the UK??
 Timmd 04 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> Going at 'potter pace' where there's people stepping out frequently seems to help with staying calmer.
> It seems to take a few near misses, and I remember to slow down and let them have space to not see me in.

I wouldn't claim to be perfectly attentive all of the time myself, of course.
Post edited at 12:53
 Si_G 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

You know the rules, if you turn your back slightly, they can’t run you over.
 Trevers 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:
As a city commuting cyclist, looking out for pedestrians, particularly those crossing through parked cars on the left or stationary traffic to the right while I'm filtering, takes up probably half of my concentration at busy times, especially in the dark.

Many people often seem incapable of comprehending that there might be something going on outside their direct field of vision, or anticipating what might be about to happen, you need to do their thinking of them. It's generally fine when they cross at walking pace but sometimes someone decides to sprint across right into your path without warning.

I had a truly bizarre incident once along a quiet side road. I was proceeding at about 20mph. There was a clearly drunk couple dancing on the pavement, I clocked this and slowed a bit and moved to the centre line in case they danced out into the road without warning. The chap saw me coming and apparently for a laugh, ran into the road, threw himself onto the floor and started crawling into my path. I only had time to swerve around him and avoided him with about a foot or less between his face and my left pedal. It would have been a very nasty accident indeed, I wonder if he was aware how close he was to having his face rapidly rearranged.
Post edited at 13:31
 elsewhere 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:
No, of course not, I just push the pram out in front of me.
OP aln 04 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

That's a classic, one of my favourites!
 Nevis-the-cat 04 Oct 2017
In reply to johncook:

Because my Lightweight Land Rover has none of the above.

You're my crumple zone

(I know you are being ironic..)
 elsewhere 04 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

> No, of course not, I just push the pram out in front of me.

I have seen some spaced out junkie looking person doing this
 nufkin 04 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Must be related to the people who press the button at pedestrian crossings then just walk out without waiting
 Timmd 04 Oct 2017

> Years ago, I used to drive a battered Fiesta with twin-tone air horns - even taxis used to jump! It is tempting to get the same as you for my commuting push bike.

Knowing I can draw attention to myself so that car drivers see me, helps a lot with commuting stress. I'd not be without my air horn now when cycle commuting.
Lusk 04 Oct 2017

I've always been tempted to get something like this ... https://www.thegreenhead.com/2013/11/20-million-candlepower-spotlight-emerg...
to shine out of my rear window when being followed by people with their spots on, or forward following someone with unnecessary fog lights on.
 marsbar 05 Oct 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

I just had a respectable looking mother walk out straight in front of my car, holding hands with 2 children, probably 5 or 6 year olds. I managed to brake. Someone else may not have.

There is a special place in hell for these people.
 hang_about 05 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Just saw a classic. Busy inner ring road with pedestrian crossing. Lots of students crossing the road. The lights changed to green and most people stop, but two lasses looked and then walked out into the moving traffic forcing it to stop. After a yard they both started staring at their phones again but hadn't noticed that one car was towing another, so both went flying over the tow rope. Only pride bruised....

The HD generation (Heads Down)
Moley 05 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

Just trying for a Darwin award.
 Brass Nipples 05 Oct 2017
In reply to Moley:

> Just trying for a Darwin award.

That is not appropriate given what happened in the Charlie Alliston case.
 Timmd 05 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

I think what can seem appropriate, can be a very personal point of view.
In reply to aln:

I avoid going to places where there are people. Sheep on the other hand...what the heck are they playing at?
Jim C 06 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

> ..Does them having family mean I'm not allowed to kill them?

I would remember that killing people ( stupid or otherwise,) leaves expensive dents in your car, or could write off your push bike) and can be very inconvenient , so for these reasons, it is best avoided.

Moley 06 Oct 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Sorry, but no idea who that is, should I or must I Google it?
 tehmarks 06 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

I particularly like those who look, and then purposefully step out in front of you anyway. London is full of those bright sparks.
 marsbar 06 Oct 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Yes. I hate them all.
 Trevers 06 Oct 2017
In reply to Moley:

> Sorry, but no idea who that is, should I or must I Google it?

Recent highly publicised case where an idiotic kid in London took the front brakes off his fixed gear racing bike. Pedestrian steps out to cross in front of him a few seconds down the road. He slows attempts to swerve round her but doesn't give sufficient safe clearance. She spots him at the last second, panics, either freezes or steps back into his path (not clear from reports) and they collide. She later dies of head injuries. He appeared to show a lack of contrition, not helped by some ill-considered posts on internet forums. He was charged with manslaughter and wanton riding (only found guilty of the later) and sentenced to 18 months, and was the target of a tabloid witch hunt. Government jumps on the bandwagon and announces there will be a review of cycling laws (despite sitting on the oft-delayed review of motoring laws and sentencing for several years).
Moley 06 Oct 2017
In reply to Trevers:

Thanks, I'm with it now and remember that. Strangely I was in our pub recently having a drink and meal with my sister, niece and her friend, turned out it was the friends aunty who was killed and the sentencing was that day, so she was a bit upset.

I didn't consider the OP to include pushbike collisions, but yes, another reason to look before crossing.
 Dax H 07 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

It's not just on the road, some people are distracted morons.
I was in my local Asda yesterday and noticed a sign on the big bright green security station by the door that said caution, obstacle ahead.
I asked the security guard about it and apparently quite a few people have walked in to this large green box whilst walking looking at their phones. The sign is an interim measure until they can move the station.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...