UKC

How quickly does Conies Dale dry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Conies Dale

It rained heavily last night (Wednesday night) but has been dry and windy all day today and predicted dry and windy all night and tomorrow day time. I've not been before. Is it worth a punt on Friday late pm? I don't know how long it seeps for.
Thanks
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

I'm afraid to say that it takes a while to dry out. I last went there a few years ago during a particularly dry spell and even then there were holds at the back suffering from seepage. I suspect it'd be gopping currently...
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Cheers Rob, I'll head to the Tor!
Dom

> Cheers Rob, I'll head to the Tor!

Heavenly joy

Happy to tie in somewhere if you've got a free afternoon? I should be out and about from 3.30pm.

Inconveniently I'm hard at work today, mostly because I worked distinctly un-hard on Monday - clocking off around 3pm to climb at Millstone.

Alan, if you are reading this...well...you already know don't you

No I meant tomorrow
 TonyM 06 Oct 2017
In reply to:

For general reference, Conies Dale starts to seep very quickly (less than a day) after any significant rain. There's not much soil over the rock there. Rainfall seems to drain quickly through the upper layer of rocks, then hits a more resistant barrier, which causes the water to run-off out of the fault line between 1m-2m above ground level.

As the lower rocks are sheltered by the capping overhangs, it only dries out fully when both the run-off has stopped and there have been several days of good drying conditions (breeze and/or sun) after to dry out the munge.

I doubt it will be dry again this year for that reason. But if someone discovers otherwise, then please do say.

Tony

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...