UKC

Halogen bulb problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Dangerous 07 Oct 2017
So my cooker hood has two halogen bulbs. When plugged in independently they work fine but when both are plugged in, they flicker. They have worked fine previously. Does anyone know what might cause this please? I've just spent an hour crimping molex connectors with a pair of pliers thinking a loose connection was the problem, but no.

Thanks
Removed User 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

Mains halogen or low voltage?
 balmybaldwin 07 Oct 2017

at a guess they are running off a12v transformer that can cope with one but not both bulbs as the transformer has had it
 Philip 07 Oct 2017

You could maybe buy some time using LED which will draw less current - if there is a flakey transformer.
 john arran 07 Oct 2017

> So my cooker hood has two halogen bulbs. When plugged in independently they work fine but when both are plugged in, they flicker. They have worked fine previously. Does anyone know what might cause this please? I've just spent an hour crimping molex connectors with a pair of pliers thinking a loose connection was the problem, but no.

Are you sure you're not using LED replacement bulbs? I had a similar problem and it took several purchases before I realised that the transformer was an older unit that couldn't cope with all of the bulbs in the set being LEDs.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> at a guess they are running off a12v transformer that can cope with one but not both bulbs as the transformer has had it

Yes they are. We tried LED but they didn't work. So it's possible for the tranformer to partially work then? I guess one is better then none

Thanks for the replies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...