UKC

Bowline

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 artif 07 Oct 2017
Almost everything you want to know about the bowline (please take note of the first word in this sentence)
http://www.paci.com.au/downloads_public/knots/Bowlines_Analysis.pdf
 Dave Reeve 07 Oct 2017
In reply to artif:

Interesting read - thanks for putting the link up. I've used the simple bowline with strangled double overhand knot (page 44) for many years, it's simple to tie and check and I can feed the tail into the harness loops with the main rope so it gives a clean compact knot. Most of the other bowlines shown seem to need a 20cm tail which is probably going to need a double overhand knot to tidy up but the "Lee's locked Yosemite Bowline" looks something I might migrate too once I can tie it with my eyes shut...
 snoop6060 07 Oct 2017
In reply to artif:

Doesn't mention the fact that you will definitely die using a bowline. Even climbing with someone who uses a bowline is pretty much death on a stick. Just using it to tie a goat to a post equals death death death!

Cake or bowline? Cake please.
 planetmarshall 07 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

I use a bowline and I've died hundreds of times. Never done me any harm.
 RR 07 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

For stiff ropes (old rope, climbing hall) I use a figure of eight.
For supple ropes a bowline with a back-up knot especially when taking falls. Easier to untie.
I can tie a bowline + overhand with my eyes shut (think of getting of the hill at night). Knotting a figure of eight in the dark, in a hurry? Dressing a bowline is likely more important then dressing a figure of eight. But who doesn’t check and pull his knot when tying in?
With a smile: I am and you as well are going to die, no escape.
 johnty 08 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:
I suggest you learn how to tie it correctly ! If you use a double fisherman as a stopper its bombproof. Used it for 50 + years and taken quite a few big falls over the years. Holds up well cross pulls if the stopper is used.
Post edited at 17:29
 beardy mike 08 Oct 2017
In reply to johnty:

I just died reading his comment about bowlines.
 d_b 08 Oct 2017
In reply to beardy mike:

I was badly injured by a picture of a bowline in a book once.
 Coel Hellier 08 Oct 2017
In reply to artif:

A 59-page document on a knot? Can anyone imagine writing 59 pages on the figure-of-eight knot?
baron 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Coel Hellier:
Are there any pictures?
Lusk 08 Oct 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I use a bowline and I've died hundreds of times. Never done me any harm.

The only time I nearly died from bowline usage is when I forget to actually tie it, thank £%&# I didn't fall off.
 Fraser 08 Oct 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I use a bowline and I've died hundreds of times. Never done me any harm.

Hmmm, have you checked the health of your goat lately?
 snoop6060 09 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I got 4 dislikes because I tie my goat up! Little f*cker keeps going to sleep in the middle of the road, what else am I supposed to do? Keep telling him, Billy, this ain't friggin kalymnos lad, that's the A6 and they won't stop just coz you are tired. Pack it in. Doesnt listen tho.
cb294 09 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Aaah, you said bowline first! We are out of cake!

This is the best post, ever, on the topic of bowlines. The topic should henceforth be considered closed.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...