UKC

Kalymnos scooter action !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tintinandpip 07 Oct 2017
As a life long biker I am currently enjoying riding around Kalymnos on a 150cc scooter.
It is great to see hundreds of climbers all clearly enjoying the scooter experience. ( The majority on 50cc).
Has anyone on returning home to the UK decided to return to motorcycling after a break ( a friend of mine on this trip is getting revved up about buying a bike after 30 years) or actually returned to the UK and taken their bike test ?
Or was it simply a little two wheel holiday romance that goes no further ?
 bouldery bits 07 Oct 2017
In reply to tintinandpip:

If we had the weather...
 mik82 07 Oct 2017

I enjoy it in Kalymnos, but wouldn't really want to ride a scooter in the UK - traffic and weather being the main differences.
 John Ww 07 Oct 2017

If only I could have! Despite having two 750cc bikes in my garage, and having passed my full bike test in 1993, I couldn't get to hire a bike over 50cc. Why? Because I've still got my old paper license, which doesn't show the date I passed my test in the horizontal bars. Solution - hired a quad instead - random steering and almost complete absence of brakes made for an entertaining 11 days

JW
 James Malloch 14 Oct 2017

I'm surprised more people don't. My old moped was cheap to run, cheap to insure (<£100 per year) and great for getting out and about.

I didn't climb at the time but Kalymnos is showing me it's easy to get out and about with one.

I guess one problem is that the CBT test limits you to a single person on the bike, and the full text is pretty expensive. I think one for a uni student could be great though!
 Wee Davie 14 Oct 2017

I lived in Bermuda for 4 years and while there I rode a 125 Vespa (modern twist n' go version) and then had a 6 speed 150cc sporty thing called a Suzuki Raider after the Vespa. Awesome fun. The Suzuki was a revtastic hoot and almost as fast as a 2 stroke. $5 every so often to fill these bikes up. Nice weather. Great climbing. Do I miss that lifestyle?
 JoshOvki 15 Oct 2017

Not in Kalymnos, but have the motorbike bug. Unfortunately stacked it 4 months ago, broke my left arm badly, sprained my right thumb badly and not been able to climb in 4 months! (Should get the thumbs up for getting going again on Wednesday). Will be back on the bike once I can pull in the clutch mind!
 Rog Wilko 15 Oct 2017

The worst thing about Kalymnos is the noise and stink of those bloody scooters.
 John Ww 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Would you prefer everyone to have a car instead? That would be just lovely.

JW
 climbingpixie 15 Oct 2017
In reply to James Malloch:

I used to have a little 50cc Aprilia hairdryer when I was a student in Liverpool. It was brilliant - £2 a week in petrol, no parking costs and great fun to drive. And the added bonus that when I started to learn to drive (after it got nicked, sob) I only needed about 10 lessons before I could take my test.
 Rog Wilko 15 Oct 2017
In reply to John Ww:

> Would you prefer everyone to have a car instead? That would be just lovely.

Yes, as it would be cleaner and quieter, not to mention safer.

John Ww 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well, you might wish to consider the impact if every scooter were to be replaced by a car - what a complete hoot parking would be.

JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...