UKC

Harvey Weinstein

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Oct 2017
What a loathsome shit he would appear to be.

Hope we’re coming to an end of people like him.
 Greenbanks 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Though female ( and male, for that matter) Hollywood superstars have been remarkably slow in condemning his actions, apparently
 planetmarshall 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Hope we’re coming to an end of people like him.

Hardly. They exist in all walks of life, and I would guess it highly likely that someone you know has experienced behaviour like his first hand, and its consequences, and attempted to brush it aside because it's "accepted" and it's "just the way things are". Apathy is the problem and sadly even after Weinstein, Saville and whoever comes next there will still be people that can't, or won't, see what the fuss is about.
 Hat Dude 12 Oct 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> sadly even after Weinstein, Saville and whoever comes next there will still be people that can't, or won't, see what the fuss is about.

And elect one!!!!

pasbury 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

tip of the fatberg.. I mean iceberg
 Pete Pozman 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

I hope Trump is cacking his pants. But I expect he thinks he was doing all those women and girls a favour...
 LastBoyScout 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Shock, horror - man in position of incredible power and surrounded by impressionable gorgeous women lets it all go to his head and tries it on with anything in a skirt within reach.

The only surprise is how long he's been getting away with it.
 colinakmc 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It’s good that (some) women have called him out. But it’s evident that lots of people (male?) have kept quiet or actively colluded. More people need to embrace the notion of treating others with respect and actively calling out folk who don’t.

Maybe the president -oh, hang on a minute.
 Stone Idle 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Loathsome individual by all accounts. I also wonder why the women he allegedly attacked did not report this sooner to save other women from his advances?
 Stichtplate 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Stone Idle:

> Loathsome individual by all accounts. I also wonder why the women he allegedly attacked did not report this sooner to save other women from his advances?

Dunno, it’s almost as if Hollywood is filled entirely with shallow, vapid, self-centred narcissists.
 planetmarshall 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Stone Idle:

> Loathsome individual by all accounts. I also wonder why the women he allegedly attacked did not report this sooner to save other women from his advances?

Because it's not that simple. Sexual assault is a serious business that leaves lasting psychological damage, and as the Saville affair and the Rotherham scandals have revealed - the message from law enforcement agencies was that victims would not be taken seriously.
 Cú Chullain 13 Oct 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Because it's not that simple. Sexual assault is a serious business that leaves lasting psychological damage, and as the Saville affair and the Rotherham scandals have revealed - the message from law enforcement agencies was that victims would not be taken seriously.

What seems to be unfolding is a full spectrum of predatory abuse allegations spanning decades from alleged rape through to sleazy chat up lines and everything in-between. It also seems his behaviour was well known in the industry and one of Hollywood’s worse kept secrets. I can understand how the Saville and Rotherham abuse victims who were largely voiceless, demonised and marginalised would struggle to come forward. What I am struggling to understand though is how various red carpet millionaire A listers who one would assume would have the clout to speak out without their careers being destroyed choose not to. Many still auditioned to be in his films despite not needing the money and being aware of his reputation as sexual predator and abuser of women

In reply to Stone Idle:

Good article explaining the complex web which makes speaking out more difficult than it might seem: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/jia-tolentino/how-men-like-harvey-weinste...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...