UKC

Killjoys

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 07 Oct 2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-41537869

Dear me. Given that this is Torbay, I wonder what was the age-profile of the 4K who signed the anti-noise petition. What are we coming to, when something like this is allowed to happen?
 FactorXXX 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I wonder what was the age-profile of the 4K who signed the anti-noise petition

Aren't those 4000 people asking for the ban to be rescinded?
 Yanis Nayu 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Miserable tw*ts, weak council.
OP Greenbanks 07 Oct 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Maybe I misread. But either way, a Victor Meldrew attitude springs to mind.
 peppermill 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

A couple of hours on a Sunday morning. Blimey.
In reply to peppermill:

> A couple of hours on a Sunday morning. Blimey.

My thoughts exactly. Shows a lot of intolerance
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

And on a par with the well-publicised complaints about citizens daring to use public parks for fun-runs
 wilkie14c 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

bloody kids and their team building, healthy outdoor games, send em inside on the xbox like any other normal kid
 Blue Straggler 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Having coincidentally just attended a Sunday 1 October morning touch-rugby session for under-10s, in Greater Manchester whilst visiting family (I have a 7-year-old and a 5-year-old nephew and they both go to this), I struggle to picture the noise levels in Torbay being high enough to genuinely upset any local residents enough that they can get it shut down after a single session. I was expecting a lot more noise from the kids I saw, but it just didn't get that loud.
 balmybaldwin 07 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

It's a bit like the people who move next to motor racing circuits and then complain about the noise. If you move near a nice park expect people to use it
 Timmd 08 Oct 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:
It's a terrible thing to happen for the children, what with increasing childhood obesity, and how mental health problems (in different ways) can stem from children taking less managed risks and being less active too. It's one less opportunity to learn about team work and develop in different ways if they can't play anywhere else.

I never liked team sports as a kid, but I can see the benefits for those who actually want to do them.
Post edited at 01:03
Lusk 08 Oct 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Don't forget all the burgers and chicken nuggets they can gorge on as well.
Fat kids are great, they just make a dull squelching low grunting noise, much more of an acceptable db level for the Torbay Mail on Sunday readers and shell suited residents.

Can't wait for our UKC resident council official, Nick's opinion of this.
 FactorXXX 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Don't forget all the burgers and chicken nuggets they can gorge on as well.
Fat kids are great, they just make a dull squelching low grunting noise, much more of an acceptable db level for the Torbay Mail on Sunday readers and shell suited residents.

It was Rugby training and fat kids are needed for the front row.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes.
OP Greenbanks 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:
IIRC there has been research in the last number of years (Joseph Rowntree or Children’s Society I think) which has charted the declining outdoor play opportunities for young people - in part a result of parental fears of ‘strangers’. A sad state of affairs
 Rog Wilko 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Reminds me of the last time they introduced some nice new trains on the Windermere - Oxenholme line. When locals were asked their opinions some whose gardens backed on to the line complained they were "too gaudy." Dear God...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...